Cooking Classes

30.4.10

Carta da Musica and Pane Frattau

In my web browsing I came across this recipe and it sounded interesting!  I really like have crisp breads on hand for snacks and to serve with pates or dips.  This one, from Italy, sounds very interesting.

These really tested my patience! The dough is soft and beautiful to work with and very forgiving.  I just got a brand new pizza stone and used it.  It worked beautifully.  But rolling the circles to 18" was beyond my ability this first time making them.  To make the larger circles, a pizza peel is essential.  I made circles about 6".  It is critical that the dough rounds be flat, without folds and tears or they won't puff up.  They are really a lot like making pita!

Carta da musica or 'music sheet' in English, called pane carasau in the Sardinian language, is staple of Sardinian shepherds, who rely on this flat, crisp, long-lasting bread for nourishment when they head into the mountains with their flocks. It forms the foundation of many Sardinian dishes: It can be broken up to take the place of rice in soups; softened using broth or water to replace pasta in dishes such as pane frattau; or deep-fried to become dessert fritters.  (from Epicurious)

For the Sponge
  • 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup very fine semolina flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarse-grained salt
  • 1 cup lukewarm water, or warm water if using dry yeast
  • 1 ounce fresh compressed yeast or 2 packages active dry yeast

For the Dough
  • 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour plus 1/2 cup for kneading
  • 1/2 cup very fine semolina flour
  • 3/4 cup lukewarm water

16 comments:

  1. What an interesting dish!! I've never heard of this. The bread looks a lot like homemade, flour tortillas too. You did a fantastic job on this dish. Thanks for sharing this dish with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a poetic title! Carte de musique. Beautiful . I wish I could taste it. I am so tempted. I reposted about the spaghetti cake with the photo and recipe this time. Sorry, I goofed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Memória> It is a fascinating dish. And the whole while I was rolling them, I was rolling them like the instructions for tortillas on your blog!

    Joumana> I think the title is what made me stop and read more. I was preparing another post and I was saying that I wish people could smell the spice mixture. I looked at your post again and saw the picture. So it wasn't there before! I wondered why I said that it was similar to pastitsio! It is not like pastitsio at all!.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a lot of work! I bet they were delicious!

    I love your blog Sarah, its so educational and informative. Thank you for all the great info you share with us, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a new dish to me. Very interesting. It does look good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always loved the name of this bread but never had the courage to make it... I figured it would never be thin enough... you have given me hope. You did such a great job with it ( and I can learn from your notes and suggestions!) and that cookbook sounds so exotic! I know nothing about the food from Sardinia. Really great post and photos, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dish looks perfect...superb n neat presentation dear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Andrea> I may never make this again! It was so much work. Then I lost my patience and put the dough in the fridge but it kept rising! So after guests left last night, I finished them. Definitely takes practice. Thanks for your kind words! Now if I could make money doing this, I would have it made!!

    Kate> new to me, too!

    Deana> thank you :) There is hope, especially with all your talents in the kitchen. I'm sure yours would be much better!

    Jay> thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How interesting! I've never heard of this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so delicious! I love the runny egg yolk, something I will definitely try! Enjoy your weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pam> me neither!

    Hungry> this was a stretch for me because I am not an egg person, unless it is for breakfast with bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - this does look delicious and a lot like my first attempt at mu shu pancakes (notice I said first attempt - they were supposed to be a lot thinner!). Love the post Sarah and your pics are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks like a lot of work, but I bet it was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. June> thanks!

    buffalodick> it was a lot of work. The saving grace is that it makes a lot and they keep forever. Hence, no need to do this again any time soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i'm not sure i'd have the patience or diligence to tackle this recipe--i'm notoriously lazy like that. generally, if i'm gonna put a lot of effort into a recipe, it's a sweet one. :)
    bravo to you, though, and thanks for introducing me to something new!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lipitor (Atorvastatin) is used together with diet to lower blood levels of “bad” cholesterol (low-density lipoprotein, or LDL), to increase levels of “good” cholesterol (high-density lipoprotein, or HDL), and to lower triglycerides (a type of fat in the blood).
    Lipitor is used to treat high cholesterol, and to lower the risk of stroke, heart attack, or other heart complications in people with type 2 diabetes, coronary heart disease, or other risk factors such as genetically high cholesterol.we have
    lipitor for sale

    buy lipitor online
    Atorvastatin calcium
    buy Atorvastatin
    buy lipitor online UK
    buy lipitor online USA You can READ MORE about Lipitor side effects

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.