Cooking Classes

23.4.10

Ideas with Stem Ginger

Ever since I had a Christmas part-time job at Williams Sonoma and saw their wonderful Stem Ginger Christmas Pudding Sauce, I have been curious about what stem ginger really is.

Stem ginger is really just fresh ginger stewed in a sugar syrup.  It isn't candied ginger.  Just cooked and sweetened ginger.

Stem ginger is most often used in sweet sauces like these and baking.  However it can also be used in savoury dishes like chicken, fish or curries.  It is nice to have a jar in the refrigerator, so I am reading. 

Peeling ginger was never my favourite kitchen task until I learned how to do it.  Put away all your knives!  Just use a spoon.  Scrape the skin off with a spoon.  It can get into every nook and cranny and you don't waste any of the wonderful flesh.

 Stem Ginger in Syrup


  1. Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil and blanch ginger for 10 seconds.
  2. Drain and repeat 2 more times.
  3. In a medium saucepan bring sugar and water to a boil.
  4. Add blanched ginger and simmer for 20 minutes.
  5. Remove from heat.
  6. Pour into a container and keep in the fridge until ready to use.
Toffee and Stem Ginger Sauce

1 tablespoon softened unsalted butter
1/4 cup castor sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup stem ginger, chopped
1/4 cup syrup from the jar of stem ginger

1. Carmelize the sugar in a heavy bottomed pan until it is completely dissolved and turns brown, forming a caramel.
2. Remove from the heat and very carefully add a knob of butter.
3. Whisk in the double cream. Once all the bubbles have gone, add the chopped ginger and syrup. Return to the heat to dissolve any remaining caramelized sugar, stirring occasionally.
4. Cool slightly before serving over a bowl of vanilla ice cream.

Stem Ginger Hard Sauce
  • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 tablespoon brandy
  • 1 tablespoon of stem ginger syrup
  • 1 tablespoon chopped stem ginger
Combine all ingredients in small bowl; stir to blend well. (Can be made 4 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.)

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip, Sarah. I do love ginger but often buy too much and watch it shrivel on the shelf! What a great way to keep some always deliciously handy. I think that hard sauce sounds too perfect. I can't wait to try it drizzled on an apple cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never even heard of stem ginger, thanks for bringing me a new ingredient! The toffee ginger sauce sounds out of this world good Sarah. I know a sister of mine that would fall on the floor with joy over that one. Must make soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Proof positive that it's so easy to make many "gourmet" items we see, and so much lest costly, as well! And Thanks for the update on how to peel ginger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marjie - couldn't agree with you more. You can make this for $2 or buy a jar for $8. Or go to W-S and buy the stem ginger hard sauce for $20

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the tip on using a spoon! I get so frustrated peeling ginger, I get rid of half of it!
    Great idea too that stem ginger, for future desserts and such.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joumana - it took me years to learn the spoon trick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to have to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hy Sarah,
    First time here..wonderful collection of fab recipes you have. Happy to follow u. Do drop in at my blog sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just started using ginger, so this looks cool! I peel my ginger with a veggie peeler, and it works fine. However, if I'm ever without a peeler, I will use a spoon. Thanks, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Memória> put away your veggie peeler! The spoon works way better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG Woman! I worked at WS also! Alumni of the same booby hatch! Love this post. I am going to give the ginger in syrup a try. A soon? Well I'll be hanged!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gypsy> booby hatch! I love it! That was my first foray into retail - I learned a lot. Best part was the amazing discounts! I spent more than I earned. Totally stocked my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am crazy about ginger. Thank you so much for these ideas... I have just got some new canning jars - well - got my mom's as she has just moved, and was already leafing through recipes. It is not canning season... but I love preserving.
    Thank you for these ideas!!!
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sarah - thanks so much for checking out your blog! Your tip about using a spoon to peel ginger was VERY helpful today, I'm using it to make some homemade ginger ale. I loooove ginger

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made stem ginger in syrup! It is really fantastic! Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.