Cooking Classes

28.4.10

Get Ready for Cinco de Mayo with Dulce de Leche

I like having a well stocked larder.  I cannot buy dulce de leche in my little town so I thought I would make it and keep it to use when the urge strikes me.  And being the Type A person that I am, I made a double batch.  Why heat your oven again when dulce de leche keeps so well in the refrigerator?  With the 2 cans of milk, I baked it for 2 hours.
Dulce de Leche or Confiture de Lait
Adapted from The Perfect Scoop (Ten Speed Press)

Preheat the oven to 425° F (220° C).

Pour one can (400 gr/14 ounces) of sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk) into a glass pie plate or shallow baking dish. Stir in a few flecks of sea salt. 
Cook in a bain-marie.  Set the pie plate within a larger pan, such as a roasting pan, and add hot water until it reaches halfway up the side of the pie plate.

Cover the pie plate snugly with aluminum foil and bake for 1 to 1¼ hours. (Check a few times during baking and add more water to the roasting pan as necessary).

Once the Dulce de Leche is nicely browned and caramelized, remove from the oven and let cool. Don't worry if it looks all lumpy.  Just give it a whirl in the food processor and it is smooth and creamy.

Store in the refrigerator until ready to use. Warm gently in a warm water bath or microwave oven before using.



Dulce de Leche Liquor

2 cups dulce de leche
1 cup vodka
2 cups cream (I used 33% fat)

Measure ingredients into a clean jar. Mix well and chill.  Store in the fridge. This is so very rich and boozy so would ideal served over ice or with your coffee.

 

19 comments:

  1. ces petites coupes ont l'air excellentes, superbe recette
    bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a GREAT recipe for dulce de leche! YUUMMMM. I will absolutely make this - and it sounds great for hostess gifts. Thank you!
    :)
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fimère> merci beaucoup!

    Valerie> it is to die for! So easy, cost effective, etc, etc. Hostess gift is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I died and went to heaven. This looks so sweet and delicious. Love it.
    Really, it was snowing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Velva> would I lie to you! I hear that there is snow in Calgary today. Hope it doesn't come this way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can almost smell the aromas from here! It looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dulce de leche looks AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hungry> it is the lumpy leche that smells so good, right?

    Memória> coming from the TexMex queen, I take that as a compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah> it truly is! Definitely a 'treat'.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love dulce de leche and this post looks amazing. Wonderful dish. I posted my 6th photo...it my latest post if you wanna check it out. Thank you for thinking of me. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know what sounds better, the dulce de leche or the liquor. Better make both and do a side by side tasting :) Looks wonderful Sarah!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooooh, this looks divine!!
    So, you say to use a shallow glass dish for the cooking, why does the vessel need to be shallow? ...Just out of curiosity

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lazaro> I checked out your photo! So cute.

    Andrea> good idea!

    Anonymous> I think a shallow dish is recommended because it will give more surface area to the heat. Apparently you can make this right in the can! I didn't want to try that! But in a shallow dish, it will heat faster. Also easier to find another container of the correct size so you can keep the dish in a water bath.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just FYI... Dulce de leche is an Argentinian treat. Mexico's traditional caramel is called "cajeta," and it's usually made with goat's milk. Just as the word "ole" was popularized in Spain, although it is yelled at bullfights in Mexico as per Spanish tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymoose> I have tried, but just don't like cajeta made with goat's milk. Too barnyardy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Definitely found my christmas gifts this year. It should follow the coffee liqueur from last year perfectly. thanks so much! I love your technique for DDL too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lindsey> thanks for stopping in!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Simply gorgeous Dulce de leche with vodka in absolutely adorable glasses. So cute and am craving it now. :)

    Sailu @ Sailu's Kitchen - Indian Recipes

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.