Cooking Classes

9.4.10

Southern Cornbread


When I was in Tennessee I learned that if you called it Southern cornbread, then you really didn’t know cornbread.  The real cornbread is Southern.  I also learned that most people buy self-rising corn meal.  So it was a simple task to make cornbread.  This self-rising product is not available in my little grocery store so I hope this recipe replicates what I had in the South.

This would traditionally be made in a cast-iron pan but I made mine in muffin tins and it was absolutely wonderful.  Just be sure to put a little oil in each before heating the pan.
Sorry about the two ads!  I can't seem to delete!  Sorry!!!

Cornbread Tips:
*  Sprinkle a little cornmeal in the hot pan before adding the batter.  It will brown and add a crispier texture.
*  For a crusty cornbread, make sure there is a good "layer" of oil or shortening in the pan.
*  A tablespoon of mayonnaise can be substituted for the egg.
*  Use muffin or cornstick pans (preferably cast iron), to vary the shape.
*  Instead of baking, fry the batter like pancakes.


Buttermilk Cornbread                   from Southern Cooking

2 T vegetable oil or shortening
1 c yellow or white cornmeal
1 T all purpose flour
1 ½ t baking powder
¼ t salt
1 c buttermilk
1 large egg

Heat oil in an 8 inch cast-iron skillet or muffin pans in a 450F oven for 5 minutes.
Combine cornmeal and next 4 ingredients in a medium bowl.  Make a well in the middle of the mixture.
Stir together buttermilk and egg.  Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.  Pour into hot skillet.
Bake at 450F for 20 minutes or until golden.  Yield  6 to 8 servings.

14 comments:

  1. Sarah> great cornbread tips... especially sprinkling some in the bottom of the pan for crunch... I wonder if this recipe would work for cornsticks... can't wait to try it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cornbread looks amazing! I cook mine in cast iron too, the crunchy crust is the best that way :) Thanks for your cornbread tips, I'll use them next time I make cornbread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girl... it's been a while since my last visit. And today, I see yummy cornbread. You're talking to a girl from Georgia and I love it big time. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deana, Andrea - nice to hear from you :)
    Moogie - that is a compliment coming from a Southern gal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cornbread and I don't really mind how it is called! If it has cornmeal in it, it is it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love cornbread! This sounds so good:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cornbread looks so good. I love (Southern) cornbread haha. I've never heard of that saying, and I've lived in the South most of my life. I will remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. il a l'air moelleux et bon j'aime beaucoup
    bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  9. Memoria - I know! It is only us up North that call it Southern cornbread. Ours is called Johnny Cake. Now that is odd!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I have a craving for Cornbread/Johnny Cake. I haven't made that in awhile. I like the tip about putting some cornmeal in the pan to make a nice crust. I'll have to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always heat my skillet on the stove top first with some butter. Then pour the batter in and let it cook for a bit over the high flame and then into the oven. The butter gets all browned and nutty. I'm going to try your tip of sprinkling some cornmeal in too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this is real southern cornbread, Congrats on doing a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'm SO glad to see that there's no sugar in your recipe--no authentic southern cornbread can include it! your tips are great, and this recipe looks like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, Grace. From a true Southerner, I take that as a compliment.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.