Cooking Classes

10.4.10

Sarah's Homemade Granola

I wanted to do this yesterday but the wind!  We are in the middle of a big wind storm, up to 120 kph (70 mph).  I had to buy groceries because I have none of the basics since moving into my house.  I had to hold the trunk of my car open with one  hand and use the other to haul in bags and bags of groceries.  

Then the fire truck and ambulance and police stopped next door.  The wind blew my neighbour's 40 year old fir tree down on the power line.  So we were without power for about 3 hours.  Even when we regained service my desire to cook passed and I settled down to taco chips and salsa verde.

And then this is all that was left of a 40 year old tree.  Sad.  Just think...it could have been one of my trees!  Welcome to the neighbourhood!  And I was looking for quiet, no excitement, peaceful....lol.




To me spring means granola.  Perhaps an odd association but I don't eat much granola in the winter for some reason.  I love my granola with plain yogurt and fruit.  I have it almost every morning for breakfast.  Now that I am settled in my new home I need a bag of granola.  I don't really even use a recipe.  I just add what I have in the kitchen.

Sometimes I add coconut, any nuts, raisins or dried cherries.  Sometimes I don't even toast the nuts in advance.  I just add them to the oatmeal.  I like to buy my walnuts at Lina's Italian market when I am in Calgary.  They are in bulk and always so fresh.

Honey will make better clumps than maple syrup.  One thing I never do is put the dried fruits in the oven.  They are much better added at the end.  Store the granola in a tight container in the cupboard for up to a month.

Sarah's Homemade Granola
  • 3/4 cup walnuts
  • 1/2 cup sliced almonds
  • 4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup sesame seeds (optional) 
  • 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
  • 2 tablespoons wheat bran
  • 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup or honey, at room temperature
  • 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
  • 3/4 cup chopped dates
  • 1/2 cup dried blueberries, cranberries or raisins

12 comments:

  1. Miss sugar looks like one happy girl. Great granola recipe... you know I've never made it but you make it sound so easy and good. I really need to start eating in a healthier way... this would be a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deana! I just left a comment on your blog. Yes, Miss Sugar knows this is our last stop! She is one happy kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your granola sounds great! There are a lot of things I make by just adding whatever is hanging around the house. And I love your pictures of Miss Sugar becoming reacquainted with her rug!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marjie - I think it falls into the category of 'peasant foods'. Soups, salads, granola - whatever is on hand. Miss Sugar was so cute. She found that rug right away. I had no idea she was so fond of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My granola is sort of similar to yours, except that to moisten mine I use honey and orange juice, with a little almond oil and vanilla.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam - that is different! Orange juice. All of those will add a nice complex flavour. I have never thought to use a nut oil.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your granola looks so hearty. If I weren't so picky, I would make this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Memoria - well, we can't like everything.....or can we!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ton granola me fait envie.
    J'espère que la tempête ne causera pas de gros dégâts.
    A bientôt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,
    We got back home Thursday night to a snowstorm; Can you believe it was 25 degrees here last weekend. Oh Canada!
    Your granolas sounds pretty good.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aint that the truth! The weather had been so nice that I thought I could turn on the underground sprinklers and 2 days later the water is freezing in my birdbath.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Saw your profile on another page. Glad I took the time to read your informative and well-written blog. Look forward to following you here. Have a great night. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.