Cooking Classes

1.5.10

Beef Brisket in my New Crock Pot

I won a crock pot!  Just as buffalodick was telling me to go out and buy one, I won one.  Julie from Dinner with Julie had a contest and I was the lucky winner.  Thank you, Julie!  In honour of this much appreciated gift, I went out and bought a brisket tip.  I used a portion of it in this recipe.  This sounds a lot like my chili.

Chile Braised Beef Brisket
  • 1 star anise
  • 1 teaspoon fennel seed
  • 12 pasilla chiles, seeded
  • 4 pounds beef brisket, trimmed of excess fat and silver skin and cut into large cubes
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 cups boiling water
  • 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, cut into fine dice
  • 3 ripe tomatoes, grated on the largest holes of a box grater, or 1 (14-ounce) can canned crushed tomatoes with juice
  • 2 cups chicken stock

13 comments:

  1. I've never used a crock pot before, go figure. Wonderful brisket dish. The ingredients create a flavor profile that is right in my sweet spot. Could go for some right about now...Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU LUCKY SON OF A GUN!!! HAHA Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! That's so exciting!! The chili looks great! Have fun with your new gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, I have a confession, I have never owned crockpot! They seem like such a great idea but I have never owned one in my life. I look forward to
    seeing your creative ways with it and may have to break down and get one!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. bravo de l'avoir gagné elle est magnifique
    ton assiette a l'air délicieuse j' t'en félicite bravo
    bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lazaro> the flavours were nice

    Memória> thank you! I was shocked because I have entered so many and not won.

    Deana> I had one years ago. But lately all I have used one for is to cook my pears for pear butter and pear jelly. This one is so large that I won't be using it for 1 or 2 people.

    Fimère> Merci!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Et bien c'est magnifique! Je dois avouer que j'ai souvent jeté des crockpots sans jamais les utiliser!
    Ce chili a l'air exquis, j'adore les épices que tu as utilisé!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think if anything could change my negative opinion of crockpots, it would be this recipe. It looks wonderful and certainly appeals to our love of spicy food.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You not only won one- it's a really good one! You'll have fun with that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joumana> I have not used a crockpot in years!

    June> well! I have it now. I do like to use it when I make my pear butter.

    buffalodick> great! I had no idea if it was good or not. Just saw all those dials and remembered your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your win Sarah!! The brisket sounds tasty, like a very hearty chili. Yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bravo. Moi, j'utilise une marmite en fonte pour les plats longue cuisson.
    Ton plat me plait. Il semble savoureux.
    Bon dimanche.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is such a flavoursome stew! I am going to try this to ward off some of the chill.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lucky You! I always knew you were a winner.
    have a great crock pot cookbook, but I can't find it. Now who did I lend that book too? I'll get back to ya on the name!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.