Cooking Classes

20.5.10

Onion and Poppy Seed Crackers

I really like having snacks available in my house.  And snacks that are not potato chips or taco chips purchased from the store.  I have been on a frenzy to try all the recipes I can find for crackers and crispbreads.

I have decided to make each flavour in a different shape.  My wild rice and dried cranberry crisps are the shape of mini slices of a loaf.  The spicy blue corn crackers are squares.  And the onion and poppy seed crackers are round.

This is a  recipe that I tried for the first time and is an adaptation from Menus from an Orchard Table - Celebrating the Food and Wine of the Okanagan.

Onion and Poppy Seed Crackers           Makes about 4 dozen

1 medium onion
1 large egg
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp salt
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp poppy seeds
1 Tbsp granulated sugar
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the blade attachment, puree the onion.  One medium onion will yield approximately 1 cup puree.  Measure 1 cup puree and liquid from the onion and return to the food processor.  Add the egg, oil and salt and blend until well incorporated.

In another bowl, measure the dry ingredients.  Mix lightly to combine.  Make a well in the centre and add the liquids in this well.  Mix in one direction until the dough is fully combined.  Lightly knead the dough, flouring as needed, for 2 minutes.  Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and rest in the refrigerator for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350F.

This is a very soft dough and you may find it best to roll it between two sheets of parchment paper.  Roll as thinly as possible.  In fact, it is best if rolled as thinly as a strudel dough.  But don't worry if you can't get it that thin.  The crackers will still be fine.  Cut into desired shapes.

Bake until evenly golden.  The time required will depend upon thickness but anywhere from 5 - 15 minutes.  If they are thicker, the crackers will puff up like little pitas.  Cool thoroughly before storing in air tight container.

13 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. I like them very much!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to take the time to make my own crackers. I just happened also to notice the add from Amazon beside your recipe with a cookbook from Heidi Noble "Menu from and Orchard Table".A few years ago I took an afternoon cooking class with her in her home in Naramata, but now they concentrate on producing award winning wines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made crackers! That sounds like great fun! Maybe I'll try these with my little boys this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie> thanks for visiting my blog!

    Valli> I just went on a spree and thought they would keep. I have a few more to make...so keep posted! Friends who took the class bought me the book. I love it.

    Marjie> easy-peasey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, crackers? I keep meaning to try them but put it off (because I'll eat them!) these look so perfect... I love the variety in the basket.. just lovely. Your neighbors must love stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deana> I know, I eat them all up, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful bowl of crackers. Great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The idea of making my own crackers appeals to me..I may try this someday soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely crackers, homemade crackers are the best, and I never make some, what a shame. Great recipe! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. great crackers - I need to add this to my list - I made my version of a cheese nip once...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mags> thanks!

    buffalo> they are so much healthier than store bought and you know exactly what is in them.

    citron> thanks :)

    doggy> cheese nip? not familiar with that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Crackers? I've never had luck with them. I think it's time to try again.
    I just realized you are a caterer. I knew you taught cooking, but had no idea you were a caterer. What an interesting woman you are!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never made crackers but willing to try out your recipe. Anything home made beats anything store bought!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.