Cooking Classes

28.5.10

Artichoke Cheesecake with Flatbread

I found this in an old Southern Living cookbook and found it intriguing.  I had friends visiting so thought it would make a nice luncheon or appetizer dish.  The flatbread is from Martha Stewart Living magazine this month.

I made only a half recipe and it was still a lot of food.  The breadcrumb mixture didn't seem to add much so I would omit it next time.  For sure though, put a piece of parchment on the bottom of your springform pan.  It is impossible to lift the cheesecake off nicely without it.  My crazy oven was too hot so the top is browner than I would like.  I did try freezing my leftovers just to see if it would work.  Although it was edible, I would not serve it to guests after freezing.

The flavours were great.  I served it with all of my homemade crackers and flatbreads.

Artichoke Cheesecake                     adapted from Southern Living
 
¼ c fine, dry breadcrumbs
¼ c grated Parmesan cheese
2 T dried Italian seasoning
2-8 oz packages cream cheese, softened
1 c crumbled feta cheese
3 large eggs
1-8 oz container sour cream
1-14oz can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
¾ c chopped roasted sweet red pepper
¾ c chopped green pepper
¾ c chopped green onions (including ½” green tops)
1 large garlic clove, pressed
1 t dried tarragon
1 t dried basil
garnish – fresh tarragon

GENEROUSLY butter a 9" springform pan.  Mix first 3 ingredients; coat bottom of pan with breadcrumb mixture, and set aside remaining mixture.

PROCESS cream cheese in a food processor bowl until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.  Add feta cheese, eggs, and sour cream..  Process until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.  Add chopped artichoke and next 6 ingredients to processor bowl.  Stir well.  Pour mixture into prepared pan.

BAKE, uncovered, at 375F for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden.  Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.  Chill at least 2 hours.

CAREFULLY remove sides of springform pan.  Pat reserved breadcrumb mixture on sides of cheesecake.  Garnish, if desired.  Serve with toast points or assorted crackers.

Herbed Flatbread                   adapted from Martha Stewart Living

1 cup warm water (about 110F)
1 teaspoon active dry yeast
3 cups all purpose flour, plus more for rolling
3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
coarse salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 large egg whisked with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
sea salt, for sprinkling
1/4 cup fresh rosemary or thyme

Place the water in a medium sized bowl and sprinkle the yeast.  Let stand until the yeast is foamy, about 5 minutes.  Stir in flour, oil, 2 teaspoons coarse salt, and the sugar.  Stir until a dough forms.

Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 2 minutes.  Use as much flour as necessary so it is not a sticky dough.  Place in a lightly oiled bowl and roll the dough around in the bowl so that it is also lightly oiled on the surface.  Cover with saran wrap.  Let stand in a warm place until it doubles in volume, about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350F.  Divide dough into 16 equal portions and cover with plastic wrap.  Roll out each piece to approximately 4"x10" on a lightly floured surface.  Transfer to parchment lined baking sheet.  Brush with the egg mixture and sprinkle with sea salt and herbs.

Bake, rotating sheet halfway through baking, until crisp and golden, 18-22 minutes.  Let cool on the baking sheet then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.


15 comments:

  1. cela me semble délicieux j'en prends note
    bonne fin de journée

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I want me some of this! It looks fantastic and the flatbread. HOLY COW! You did a beautiful job, Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought of a cheesecake as not sweet. Interesting concept. I've made flat bread a couple of times; I should try this version. Isn't it amazing how versatile yeast doughs are?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Sarah! I HAVE to try this flatbread! It looks just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A savory cheesecake...I love it! I think you did a great job with this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it. What savory way to enjoy cheesecake. I think the idea of serving up flatbreads with it, was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The savory cheesecake looks interesting, but the flatbread is really calling my name!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are all with me...I loved the flatbread. The savoury cheesecake would be great for a large cocktail party as one of the offerings...but the flatbread is the bomb.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That flatbread looks amazing! Like it was produced at an old-world bakery. That artichoke cheesecake sounds great for an appetizer, a small portion per person.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Artichoke cheesecake sounds fabulous!! The flat bread looks yummy as well:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've made a 100 cheesecakes, but never a savory one! Sounds interesting..Saw a Blue Cheese one I was thinking of trying someday..

    ReplyDelete
  12. You always come up with the most fantastic ideas. Artichokes and cheese seem to work so well together:D

    ReplyDelete
  13. i don't get giddy about cheesecake for dessert, but you'll never see me pass by a savory cheesecake without helping myself to a hunk of it. this is an interesting one! speaking of interesting, frozen and thawed cheese is a curious beast, is it not? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow I want some of that lovely bread. It looks delicious and crispy, I have to give it a try.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  15. An artichoke cheese cake sounds so amazingly good!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.