Cooking Classes

24.5.10

Avocado Feta Salsa


Lazaro at Lazaro Cooks has a contest this month.  The challenge is to use both avocado and feta cheese in the same recipe.  This is my submission for that challenge.  I used this salsa both with my breakfast taco above and with grilled lamb chops below.  It was delicious!

Oh Pam, thanks for commenting on the plate!  I forgot to talk about it.  I was staying in a friend's home in Saskatoon, housesitting actually.  It seems to be my second career!  So I am looking for plates.  She has this beautiful set of Spode china and it is used for every day.  I thought I had died and gone to heaven.  Every time I took out a plate, I looked at it more than my food.

Avocado Feta Salsa 

  • 1 ripe avocado - peel and pit removed and diced
  • 4 oz feta cheese, crumbled
  • 2 plum tomatoes, diced
  • 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 1 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
  • 1 tbsp snipped fresh parsley
  • 1 garlic clove, finely diced

Directions
  1. Carefully mix together the avocados, tomatoes, onion, and garlic in a bowl. Add in the oregano and parsley, then gently stir in olive oil and vinegar, now the feta. Cover, and place in the refrigerator to chill for 2-6 hours. 









24 comments:

  1. I don't know which I like better, the salad or that gorgeous plate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I love this recipe. Itlooks so delicious.
    Bicely done!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam> isn't it lovely. I added a comment on my post about that lovely Spode china!

    Pam #2> I would likely have never tried this if it was not for the little contest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fabulous Sarah and something this Tucsonian would make for sure. Love the fiddleheads with your lambchops on the GORGEOUS plate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fresh and gorgeous looking salsa. And yes, I adore that plate too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. June> will be posting tomorrow a lot about fiddleheads. They are/were in season. If you blink you will miss them.

    Mags> I didn't realize that plate would photograph so well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. J'aime les 2 versions.
    Elles sont bonnes toutes les 2.
    Bonne semaine Sarah et à bientôt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is my Mother's Spode pattern when I was growing up!
    -Scott

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have just made my most favorite meal in the whole wide world; I seem unable to resist feta cheese when I see it or avocado and the two combined in a salsa is my idea of heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nadji> mercie pour la visite!

    Joumana> amazing!

    Scott> what a coincidence!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a great side dish! what is the ferm like vegetable?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Num, what a bright, healthy combination. I love that it is finally time to start eating refreshing things again. It was cold for so long I thought I'd never get past hot comfort food! Avocado is just the best thing for your skin!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not two of my favorite ingredients- but you make it look good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a delicious combo! I love to combine feta and avocado, heck I have both on hand today!! Yum, I can't wait to make this one myself Sarah! Thanks for the great idea for dinner tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jay> thank you

    Tummies> those are fiddleheads and I'll be posting more about them today.

    Deana> I will be eating a lot of avocado!

    buffalo> what? you don't like feta and avocado?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Andrea> no problemo! I had never eaten them together before but like the saltiness that the feta adds.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The plate, the delicious avocado salsa or the fiddleheads...where do I start:D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your breakfast taco looks delicious, and your plates are just lovely. I do enjoy pretty "crockery", as my menfolk call it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The tacos look really yummy:) I've never had lamb so I can't imagine what it tastes like. The plate is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Valli> you are so kind :)

    Marjie> merci beaucoup!

    Holly> you have to try good lamb. I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. it just didn't taste Oriental..it was just OK..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sarah, this is lovely! I could avocados in anything I think, but I surely love this idea! Thanks for helping me with a new way to use avocados. Hope all is well! Roz

    ReplyDelete
  23. talk about a unique salsa! to me, the avocado is a magical fruit--it can entice me to eat and enjoy any number of other ingredients that i wouldn't normally consume (like feta). really lovely!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.