Cooking Classes

17.5.10

Candied Violets

I am thrilled to find tiny violets in my back garden.  It is early and things are still growing so I am hoping I will have lots of these delicate little flowers.

If any of you have tried making these little delicate things, please let me know.  I will create a link on this posting to your blog as well.  It will be fun to share ideas.

Valerie at A Canadian Foodie has also made these sweet things.  Check out her blog.

Candied Violets

1 large egg white
1/3 cup water
1 cup superfine sugar

Beat the egg white and water until frothy.  If you cannot find superfine sugar, just give regular white sugar a whirl in your food processor and it will break it down finer.

When picking the violets, leave the stems in tact.  Dip the flower into the egg mixture and with a little brush, carefully wipe off any excess liquid.

Snip the flower from the stem and drop into the sugar.  Gently sprinkle the sugar all over the flower and remove with a fork.  Place on parchment paper to dry.  These can be stored for several months if properly dried and put in an airtight container.

WordBanquet has a great post here.  I hardly think you will be wanting to make 100 at one time!

19 comments:

  1. buffalo> it's kind of a girly thing, so not surprised it never occurred to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look lovely. I've always wanted to make crystallised flowers...but never have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are so pretty! I think my violets are done, though!!! Darn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. une très bonne idée, je ne l'ai jamais essayé mais ça me tente beaucoup
    bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah they are so lovely and ethereal... what a lovely idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty!!! I've never made them, maybe I should give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do they dry at room temperature or do you need to use a dehydrator?

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are very pretty, don't think we will get any violets for a few months.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the first time I visit your blog and I found so many things to learn from it!!
    Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been missing reading your blog during this last crazy month or two of teaching in academia. I love candied violets and really, just about any edible flower. It is so nice to see another foodie friend finally post about these special delicacies from our gardens! Roz

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had no idea that you could do this. They are absolutely gorgeous!

    Stupid question: are they edible?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got in touch with my feminine side once, and it was still pretty "Butch"....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pam> I have heard that some violets are blooming all summer here. Wouldn't that be great!

    Butterfly & Fimere & Moogie> me too! this is my first attempt.

    Deana> thank you. They weren't quite as tedious as I expected.

    Michelle> room temp should be fine although if you live in a very humid climate it may take days. I live in a virtual desert so a couple of hours sufficed.

    Hungry> mark your calendar!

    Annie> welcome! Nice to have you stop in.

    Bella> oh Bella, I have been missing some, too, with all the outside garden work I have to do.

    B> not a stupid question, but yes they are edible. Violets, Johnny Jump Ups, Pansies are all edible.

    buffalo> lol...I can imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful Sarah! Violets are so beautiful - the true sign of spring aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
  15. June> I was so happy to find them in my garden! I think there are a lot more than I realize.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Candied violets and even pansies make beeautiful Spring decorations on cakes, pies, etc. They taste good too:D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I need to try these! I think I have violets outside, if they haven't frozen to death today.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love these and I do my own too - they are in my gallery - link at the top. Take a look at the similarities and the differences. LOVE them.
    :)
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.