Cooking Classes

16.5.10

Sunny Sunday Sangria

I know, it was probably only a week ago that I was crying in my soup about snow!  But it has been so hot lately that I decided to use one of those cheap bottles of red wine in my cellar and make sangria.

I love sangria and this recipe from Flavours magazine is my favourite.  Just a note, it is potent!!!  Mix with lots of soda water.

I really don't know what they mean by cutting the peel into a long spiral.  I just took each slice of fruit and removed the peel in a long spiral.  I also removed all the white pith.

Spanish Sangria

1 1/2 bottles dry red wine
1 large lemon, thinly sliced with the peel cut into a long spiral
1 large orange, thinly sliced with the peel cut into a long spiral
1/2 lime, thinly sliced with the peel cut into a long spiral
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brandy
1/2 cup orange liqueur
1/4 cup gin
green seedless grapes
2 cups club soda
ice cubes
apple, orange and lemon wheels, for garnish

Combine all ingredients, except soda and ice, in a large glass pitcher.  Stir well, cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours.  Fill each glass with ice cubes.  Add liquor mixture to each glass to the halfway mark.  Top with club soda.  Garnish with an orange, apple and lemon wheel.

12 comments:

  1. I love a good sangria. Especially in this heat.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious. Now all I need is the sun and some heat! (It's a cold rainy Sunday here today)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sangria is wonderful and as for potent - it's got to be that darn club soda that's responsible for the tipples. I mean doesn't anything with bubbles cause it? LOL Great looking recipe Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sangria! It just brings back memories of France and parties (called Boum) where we would drink gallons of cheap sangria. Now i have a good recipe for it, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks wonderful! Especially if I can sit in your comfortable wicker chair!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Valli> I agree! Can't wait to be making sangria.

    June> yes, I have heard it is the bubbles, too. So I did an experiment once upon a time...well, it wasn't the bubbles cause I didn't drink any!

    Mags> Poor Mags, sorry you have no sun.

    Joumana> I love hearing your stories!

    Pam> Well, come on over!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a slice of heaven in your sunny garden, :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Un bicchiere anche per me...grazie :) buona settimana

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are just coming out of a cold spell that was so depressing (and the board had shut down the heat in APril... boo!!!) we needed cocoa! This sangria sounds like the best ever... can't wait to make it, Sarah. So many lovely alcohols!! It also gives me an excuse to try that jenever gin I have had my eye on...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hungry> I guess you could say that :)

    Stefania> Grazie

    Deana> spring is even more unpredictable than autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks great! So, does this mean you're sending heat and sunshine my way?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.