Cooking Classes

15.5.10

Hearty Healthy Pancakes

I used to make these all the time for myself.  The recipe is rather large but can easily be divided into quarters and I have bags of pre-mix frozen for use later.

I mix the dry ingredients and then cut in the butter.  This is the stage that I package what I won't be cooking.  It divides nicely into quarters.  Put 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons in each of four ziploc bags.  I also write out the rest of the recipe to put in the bag, so I don't have to drag out my cookbook again.

For each bag, use 1 cup buttermilk, 1 egg, 1 tablespoon honey and 1/4 cup chopped pecans.

The recipe makes way more than they tell you.  Perhaps my pancakes are small but I get 7 pancakes out of each 'package'.

Surprise Flapjacks               adapted from The Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook

1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
4 eggs
4 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup honey
1 cup chopped pecans
melted butter

1.  Process the first 7 ingredients in a food processor fitted with a steel blade until well blended.  Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal.

2.  Beat the eggs and buttermilk together in a large mixing bowl.  Beat in the honey.  Stir in the flour mixture and then fold in the chopped pecans.

3.  Heat a pancake griddle and brush it with melted butter.  Ladle the batter onto the griddle to make 6-inch pancakes.  Cook until golden on both sides.  Serve with butter and maple syrup.

7 comments:

  1. 1st class comfort food! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Une bonne recette.
    Je prends note.
    A bientôt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The weekend has arrived when we find pancakes on the menu:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. buffalodick> it is, isn't it!

    Nadji> thanks for stopping in.

    Valli> Aint that the truth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love pancakes, but never tried them with whole wheat flour : this is an idea I really like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could have used some of these this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so what's the surprise? meh, it doesn't really matter--they sound delicious, and i love the ease of already-prepared mix. good stuff.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.