Cooking Classes

22.2.10

Spicy Corn Crackers


I brought back this bag of blue corn meal from Tennessee.  I am sure I can find it here, but I got so excited about all the great ingredients that I am sure I cannot find in Calgary that I may have over bought a tad.  This recipe is on the back of the package so I thought I would give it a try.  It is really good and very simple.  They taste best if the bottom of the cracker does not become too browned.  I didn’t have any of the spices!  I couldn’t believe it.  I used a tablespoon of Tony Cachere’s Cajun Seasoning that I also bought in the South.
Spicy Corn Crackers      adapted from Arrowhead Mills

½ c buttermilk
3 T vegetable oil
1 c blue corn meal
½ c pastry flour
¾ t salt
¼ t baking soda
1/8 t cayenne
½ t chili powder, or more, to taste
1 t garlic powder

Preheat oven to 350F.  Combine buttermilk and oil.  In separate mixing bowl, thoroughly stir together the dry ingredients.  Add milk mixture and stir until dough forms a ball. Knead on floured board (adding a little more flour if necessary) about 5 minutes.  Divide dough in half and roll each.  Roll as thinly as possible.  Cut into 2-inch squares.  Sprinkle with additional salt or paprika.  Bake on baking sheet lined with parchment paper for about 15 minutes.  Be careful not to brown the bottoms.  Cool slightly before removing from baking sheet, finish cooling on wire rack.  Store in loosely covered container.  Makes about 4 dozen.

12 comments:

  1. Oh Sarah, last time I made crackers I didn't oil the sheet properly and they all stuck... parchment paper... great idea!!!! These look great, and would be delicious with... CHILI!!
    Now that I saw on the news that the owner of Bob's Red Mill gave his company to his employees... I want to only buy their grains ...how cool is that??

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents retired to Santa Fe, New Mexico a few years ago. When we go to visit, I always come home with blue corn (for grinding into meal for tortillas and cornbread) and red chilies. This looks like a wonderful recipe to try. I'll also be looking for that Blue Corn Meal by Arrowhead Mills.

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob's Red Mill is available up here, too. Nice story. In fact, I saw it at Nutter's here in this little city near the village I am living in.

    Mrs.P - grinding your own corn! That's great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love homemade crackers! I find Calgary has got to be one of the most difficult cities to shop for food in. I go to five or six places to get what I used to be able to find at one in Vancouver.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathy - I guess it depends what you are looking for. Personally, I love to shop all over town but there are a few favourite places that I can get most everything I need. Lina's is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These crackers look absolutely STUNNING! Wow. the prettiest crackers I've ever seen. I love the soft shade of blue. I'll have to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you think I can find the blue corn flour here?

    Oh lala..They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure you can,Nana. A lot of places have Bob's Red Mill brand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never heard of blue corn meal. Home made crackers have that special touch and flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sage, I am hooked on homemade crackers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sarah, I have not eaten homemade crackers in many years. I feel inspired after seeing your blue corn crackers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sarah,

    Thanks for promoting our products! We love seeing what our fans are cookin' up on their blogs! Visit us at www.tonychachere.com and submit your recipe!

    Keep on shakin',

    Celeste Chachere
    Marketing & Development Coordinator
    Tony Chachere's Creole Foods

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.