Cooking Classes

6.2.10

Saturday Blog Showcase - Homemade Yogurt



My sister makes yogurt all the time.  And I used to!  I graduated with a degree in Home Economics in 1970 so I was into all of that 'hippy' stuff.  But it has been years and I was a little shaky on just doing it from memory.

I found this wonderful blog through Tastespotting.  Sunday Hotpants makes it just like I remember doing it.  I thank her for her posting.  My comments are in italics.

This is my Saturday Blog Showcase contribution this week.  All That Splatters is hosting.


Fresh Home made Yoghurt    from     Sunday Hotpants
The first time you make this you will need to buy a carton of plain active yoghurt (label will tell you if it is made from live bacteria or gelatin.  Don't buy the gelatin type) from the store as your starter. After the first time you just need to retain a few tablespoons of your home made yoghurt to use as your starter.

If you are retaining some for a starter for next time you need to get your new batch started within 5-7 days, so it still has some oompf there.

Make sure you have a clean container with a lid to make your yoghurt in. A thermometer is helpful but not essential.  (I don't use a thermometer.  Scalded milk is the point you want to reach.  And after that I test it like I would a baby bottle - on my wrist.)
You need to use your yoghurt within 2 weeks.
You can make this with any type of milk, I chose to make this batch from a combination of whole milk and low fat milk.  (I used 2% milk.)
  • 1/ 1/2 litres milk (roughly 1 1/2 quarts)
  • 2-3 large Tblspns plain active cultured yoghurt at room temperature.
First scald your milk - put it in a large saucepan and bring it up to the temperature where it starts to foam 185F/85C. Stir while it’s coming up to temperature, you don’t want to burn your milk. Take it off the heat once it starts to foam. You can use a double boiler if you’re the nervous type.

Cool your milk down to 110F/43 C or till it just feels slightly warm to the touch. But do make sure that you stir your milk occasionally while it’s cooling so that it is the same temperature throughout.

Once your milk has cooled to that slightly warm temp (110F/43C) add your yoghurt starter to the milk and stir through to mix.  Pour  the mixture into the container that you are going to make your yoghurt in, and seal the top. (I use those high end disposable plastic containers with good lids.)

 Now you need to put it in a warm place for between 7-12 hours. You want to maintain the current temperature of the milk mixture.  (I have been heating the oven to 200F, turning it off and placing the yogurt in the warm oven overnight.  You could just wrap a blanket or towel around your containers to insulate them to keep them warm.)

15 comments:

  1. That is so impressive... making yoghurt from scratch... you go girl!!! I love yoghurt and fruit for breakfast or lunch... a great weekend experiment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, is there a distinctly higher quality of taste with a homemade yogurt compared to a high store bought version? I guess is the effort worth the difference? I love yogurt and eat often so, I am curious.

    P.S. Your box is ready to be mailed. Let me know when you arrive at your destination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You brought back memories..when our girls were growing up we always made the yogurt:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to try making my own yogurt for a while now. A friend of mine makes her own, using this same method and has awesome results! Must remember to get plain yogurt with active cultures from the store next time I go.

    Are you home yet? I hope you had a safe and fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi everyone! Thanks for following even when I have not actually been online. I am still struggling to get internet! I am at a hotel in Calgary at the moment.

    I hope I can post something new today or tomorrow. I love homemade yogurt. It is so easy and cheaper. My sister only eats homemade yogurt (she lived in India for many years).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!!! I am so impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mother had an East Indian friend who taught her how to make yogurt back in the early 70's. I haven't made it myself, but I would love to try! Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm delighted to read this post. I've been thinking about making yogurt. The best I've ever eaten was made by my friend Pascal. He smuggled in French bacteria.
    You've convinced me. I'm going to give it a try.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  9. SARAHHHHHHHHH!!!!! I MISSED YOU! :D

    Great job on the yogurt; I've yet to make yogurt. I have always wondered why you need yogurt to make yogurt. How do you make the yogurt that you put in the yogurt? *scratches head*

    Anyway, I'm totally impressed. I also didn't know you got a degree in Home Ec. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum. That looks delish! I have been wanting to make yogurt at home for a long time now, so thanks for the tips. I had no idea that some of the yogurts contain gelatin, good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember making homemade yogurt back in my (hippy) college days too. A yogurt maker was the only thing on my Christmas list one year and God love my little brother for buying it for me. For some reason I got out of the habit of making my own. Thanks for the reminder of just how easy it is!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tutorial. I've never made yogurt, but I just might give it a try. Thanks Sarah.

    And thank you for participating in the Saturday Blog Showcase this week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow homemade yogurt! That is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! Homemade yogurt!? Sounds delicious! I can't wait to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so glad to hear that there is interest in making yogurt! It is dead simple and I like it. I find it difficult to always find the good yogurt in the grocery stores.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.