Cooking Classes

7.5.13

Veal Scallopini with Brown Butter and Capers

I am home again from a most amazing food holiday in the Okanagan in British Columbia. I attended two conferences back to back and ate like a queen for an entire week. I must say that coming home is a step down. You will read more about these events in my upcoming posts. I am still unpacking and sorting all the notes I took.

Whilst passing through Calgary I did have an opportunity to do some shopping. I was delighted to find veal at the Midtown Co-op. This is my favourite grocery in the city. Tonight I cooked veal scallopini aside rapini. Neither of these foods are available in my little town in Saskatchewan. Such a treat. You must try this recipe for a special meal. It is so simple with flavourful results.

Veal Scallopini with Brown Butter and Capers   from Epicurious.com
  • 3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 pound thin veal scallopini (less than 1/4 inch thick)
  • 1/2 stick unsalted butter, cut into pieces
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons drained small capers
  • 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley

Heat a 12-inch heavy skillet (not nonstick) over high heat until hot, then add oil and heat until it shimmers.
Meanwhile, stir together flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, then pat veal dry and dredge in flour, knocking off excess.
Cook veal in 2 batches, turning once, until browned and just cooked through, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes per batch. Transfer to a plate.
Discard oil from skillet, then add butter and cook over medium heat, shaking skillet frequently, until browned and fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in vinegar, capers, and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Return veal to skillet just to heat through, then sprinkle with parsley.




3 comments:

  1. I have no idea where to find veal around here! Can't wait to here about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, 2 conferences back to back and ate like a queen? I'm envy. :) And this veal scallopini with brown butter is a step down? Oh boy, I don't mind "stepping down" every day. hahaha....I love veal and can't wait to try this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Num Sarah. One of my favorite combinations (although I usually make it with turkey breast or chicken). Great with that broccoli rabe. You know how to live.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.