Cooking Classes

14.8.11

Spot Prawns, Oysters and Mussels


No visit to Vancouver Island is complete until you have sampled the wonderful fresh seafood and fish.  These are Fanny Bay oysters.  They are quite large but still sweet.  Dressed with lemon juice and hot sauce and they taste great.

We also bought some spot prawns and made a saffron sauce and tossed with pasta.  This is a salad with the mache we bought on Salt Spring Island.  Lightly dressed, it was perfect with the prawns.












And we have no pictures of the mussels.  They were so fat and juicy, also from the Fanny Bay market.  We made mussels two ways - in a lemongrass and coconut milk sauce and the traditional white wine, tomato, fennel and shallot sauce.  We had lots of crusty bread to sop up the sauce.

Lemongrass Coconut Mussels

1 pound fresh mussels
2 tablespoons finely diced shallots
extra virgin olive oil
stick of lemongrass
1/4 cup coconut milk

Saute the shallots in the olive oil.  Add the lemongrass (bruised) and coconut milk.  Bring to a boil.  Add the mussels, cover and steam until all the mussels open.  Serve immediately with crusty bread.

4 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm now I an hungry for oysters....... Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, I'm so enjoying your posts and photos from your holiday - and I don;t even like shellfish!

    Btw - it is snowing, an absolute rarity.

    Sending kind thoughts, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so good. I love seafood and coconut milk... they really complement one another beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I love mussels and I used to cook them often at home in NS where I could buy either Nova Scotian or PEI mussels at Superstore. I am always nervous buying seafood in Edmonton, so I have never cooked mussels here. Stange, I know! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.