Cooking Classes

2.8.11

Multigrain Hot Dog Buns

"Actually, the true gourmet, like the true artist, is one of the unhappiest creatures existent.  His trouble comes from so seldom finding what he constantly seeks: perfection."    Ludwig Bemelmans

This pretty much sums up how I am feeling right now.  I had a bad bread day on Saturday.  The bottoms were too dark, the interior too moist and the Farmer's Market was having a slow day so I had 2 loaves left over.   Not every loaf was too moist.  In fact I think there were very few but even one imperfect loaf is upsetting.  I thought my bread career may as well be over.  But I can't quit.  I have a pallet of flour that arrived today and I have people expecting bread so I have to figure this out and improve.

Then I receive a call from my regular bread client, Jennifer.  She is always helping me expand my repertoire by asking for the things she likes and bakes.  First it was pumpernickel bread.  Although I am selling bread at the Farmer's Market, I am really not a baker!  I never expected to be baking bread and selling it...ever!  I make it for myself but am nervous about baking for others.  She is so encouraging and is totally happy with the bread. 

I am so glad I said, "Yes, I can do that!"  I had never made pumpernickel.  I rarely ate pumpernickel.  What was I thinking?  Cocoa powder and molasses...that's it.  That is all it takes to turn rye bread into pumpernickel.  Amazing.  And it is so delicious.  The reason I never ate it before is because I never could buy it fresh.  I had a left over loaf on Saturday so cut it up for myself.   Yum.

Now she has ordered hot dog buns!  Yikes.  Shaping buns, making them multigrain and healthy?  The recipe I am using is from The Joy of Cooking.  I like the flavour of slow-risen breads so that is what I am making.  I love the way Jennifer and her family enjoy their food.  Can you throw in a few herbs?  I have rosemary.  That's great.  On to a new adventure with hot dog buns.  I am feeling better already.

Multigrain Hot Dog Buns             adapted from The Joy of Cooking

2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 tablespoon warm water
2 cups cold water
1 1/2 cups bread flour
1 1/2 cups multigrain flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 1/2 cups multigrain flour
1 1/2 cups bread flour
1 egg white, lightly beaten

Combine the yeast and water in the bowl of your heavy duty mixer (or a large mixing bowl) and let stand until the yeast is hydrated, about 5 minutes.  Add the cold water, salt, sugar and blend.  Add the flours until they are absorbed by the liquid.

Now place the bowl in your heavy duty mixer fitted with the dough hook.  Blend slowly and add an additional 1 1/2 cups of multigrain and 1 1/2 cups bread flour a half a cup at a time.  Continue to add the flour while the mixer is on until a smooth elastic dough has formed.  Knead with the mixer or by hand for another 5 minutes.

Transfer the dough to a clean, oiled bowl and toss the bread dough around to coat it in the oil.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 5 - 12 hours.

Remove from refrigerator and let rise until doubled, about 6 hours.  Punch down, shape, let rise, brush with beaten egg white and bake at 400F for 20 minutes.

5 comments:

  1. You're a splendid bread baker; these hot dog rolls look wonderful. And it's really nice that you have a client who can inspire you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Sarah, that looks absolutely fantastic! The golden crust makes me want to dive into my monitor to grab one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great that you have someone who will challenge you -- and encouraging that they like your work enough to keep making new requests!

    However, I have to argue that if you're baking, you're a baker. I don't buy this "not a real baker" stuff! Give yourself the credit you've earned, I say!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay now you're talkin' um um um, healthy hot dogs for Tom! I can't wait to make these as I love good hot dogs, but rarely find worthy buns, uh you know what I mean ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. they were lovely. thx for being so adventurous to bake these things for us!!!
    -the harrisons

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.