Cooking Classes

27.8.11

Farmer's Market Update

I have been so busy with baking bread and making healthy salads and dips for the Farmer's Market that I can hardly keep up.  I have not posted for ages and it seems I am not cooking up a storm like I used to either.  I am learning so much.

But, how do I bake all that bread!  I made 45 loaves for today's market and I am exhausted.  I have finally taken a few pictures.
My bread laying out on parchment paper for the second rising.
My improvised bread cooling rack.  I purchased a clothes drying rack and it works like a charm.  I have to label all my bread because it becomes a little difficult at times to distinguish a red fyfe from a rye from a whole wheat.
It is health regulations that all food have a sneeze guard or be covered.  In the beginning I put my bread in plastic bags but when it is still warm that interferes with a nice crispy crust.  Now I lay it all out in parchment lined drawers from an antique dresser and other rustic looking containers.
This vintage tablecloth works great to add a little charm.  I am using simple clipboards as labels for all the different breads.  I make 50% hard white with cheddar or with raisins, cinnamon & honey, cornbread with and without fresh sage, 7 grain with and without za'atar on the crust, rye with caraway, pumpernickel, red fyfe and a few others from time to time.
Clear cellophane is cheap and works well to cover the bread.  I don't even need tape.  I just tuck it under the front of the container and drape it back.  I can easily get in to serve the bread.
This is some of the other things I am selling.  I have ice in the tub to keep cold things cold.  All my packaging has my 'logo' of a splash of green.  I am also selling some local organic flours.

8 comments:

  1. Wow Sarah! Your breads look so good! I bet you are so exhausted! I know people who do the farmer's market and they are up all night baking! Kudos to you for taking on such a project! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine how exhausted you are, but making these natural breads and spreads to sell at the farmers' market sound like so much fun to me! I'd love to be doing something like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, I am in awe. I can't believe all the work you do EVERY WEEK~~ huge kudos to you. Your table looks just perfect.. the drawers are a really creative idea... sneeze guards? It's a good idea, but does sound a little icky!! Wish I had a loaf right now... $5 is a great price!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how you keep up with it all. I am glad that you are having such success!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good heavens that is a lot of work! And I (occasionally!) moan about baking a few loaves each week for the family! No wonder you are tired!

    What is the diameter of the circular loaves? Looks like about 7 or 8 inches?

    ReplyDelete
  6. How on earth do you do it, 45 loaves would take me a week to cook in my oven!!! $5 sounds more than reasonable to me for a home made loaf. Wish I could bring all my jars of jams, jellies and pickles over to your farmers market. Don't over do it, relax when you can. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. i work at the farmers' market in london, and always love looking at and smelling those delicious homebaked breads, so i really enjoyed the photos of your bread! they look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love baking bread...you deserve to be tired...happy you are selling so well:) I wanted to try your No-Knead Link but it disappeared. If you ever get a sec, LOL, please repost that recipe.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and family,
    Gail

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.