Butternut Squash Curry with Basmati Rice

I made this earlier in the week while I still had a kitchen.  I had a squash from the market a few weeks ago and thought I should make this delicious curry, inspired from Martha, of course.

Butternut Squash Curry      adapted from Martha Stewart

  • 1 large butternut squash, peeled, halved and seeded
  • 1 large white onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, peeled
  • 3 cups water
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
  • 1 teaspoon ground mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 two inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1 cilantro cube
  • 2 cups cooked brown rice
  • yogurt for serving
Drizzle the squash halves with sorghum and put a pat of butter in the cavity.  Bake the squash at 350F until tender.  Scoop out in chunks and let cool.

Puree onion, garlic, and a splash of water in a food processor until smooth.

Heat oil in a large pot or dutch oven.

Add fennel seed, mustard, and coriander and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until fragrant.

Add onion puree and ginger and cook until golden, stirring frequently, about 8 minutes.

Stir in tomato paste and cook another 3-4 minutes.

Pour in remaining water, red pepper flakes, cilantro cube, and salt.  Simmer gently for 15 minutes to develop flavours.

Add chunks of squash.

If you like a thicker sauce (which I do!) use a wooden spoon to mash 1/4 of the squash against the side of the pot.

Stir and serve over brown rice.

Garnish with a dollop of yogurt if desired.


  1. Butternuts are the best vegetables ever. This sounds a delicious recipe. Diane

  2. Butternits are the best vegetables ever. This recipe looks delicious. Diane

  3. I am sure your kitchen will be back in order in no time. Thanks for sharing "your last supper":D

  4. I love butternut squash cooked any way I can get it!

  5. Yum.... curry is delicious. And your photo is super.

  6. Martha is inspiring, isn't she (well at least the people that work for her are)? I agree, that is a super squash photo...like art!

  7. I love butternut squash flavor in curries! I will definitely have to try this. :)

  8. I adore squash, but the rest of my family doesn't! This look so good! I should make it just for me! Angie xo


I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.