Cooking Classes

14.8.10

Perogies Daring Cooks Challenge

The August 2010 Daring Cooks’ Challenge was hosted by LizG of Bits n’ Bites and Anula of Anula’s Kitchen. They chose to challenge Daring Cooks to make pierogi from scratch and an optional challenge to provide one filling that best represents their locale.

My friend, Luscious Linda, taught me  how to make perogies a couple of years ago.  We used her Baba's recipe which went something like this...take one large bowl and fill it half full of all purpose flour.  Add two coffee cups of unbleached flour....etc.  We followed the directions and Linda tried to remember how big a large bowl was or what size a water glass would be.

As we went along, we also measured and wrote down the recipe.  This is it!  And, hey, it works beautifully.  Don't go out and buy those hokey perogy makers.  There is absolutely no need.  Just use a 'juice glass' to cut circles.  Then roll them again to make ovals and fill and fold.

This recipe makes a very large batch and they can successfully be frozen.  Lay the perogies out on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and freeze.  Then put them in a freezer bag.  To use, boil the frozen perogy in plenty of salted water.  Then they can be sauted in butter and served with sauteed onions and sour cream.

Perogy Dough


9 c all purpose flour
3 c bread flour
5 T canola oil
4 ¼ c warm water

1.     Mix and knead into a ball and let rest for 5 minutes.
2.     Dust rolling pin and counter top with flour and roll dough out to 1/8 – ¼ inch thick.  Cut into circles about 3 inch diameter.  Roll again a little bit more to make an oval.
3.     Continue until all dough is made into perogies.
4.     Boil perogies in a large pot of water that has had a little oil added, until they float, about 8 minutes.
5.     Serve with sautéed diced onions, butter and sour cream.


Saskatoon Berry Perogies
Mix 1 cup of sugar with 3 T flour.  Put 10 saskatoons and 1 T sugar mixture in each.  Close and pinch the seam together. 

These are little more challenging, believe it or not.  The sugar seems to get into the way when you are pinching the perogy shut and makes it difficult to get a bond.

I like these as a brunch item.  I tried them sauteed in butter and with brown sugar sweetened sour cream and liked it.  My Ukranian friend has them with melted butter and regular sour cream. 

Potato and Asiago Cheese Filling for Perogies
4 – 6 medium potatoes
1 c. grated asiago cheese
1 small chopped onion finely
Salt to taste
Milk to thin, if necessary
Pinch of pepper

Boil potatoes and drain.  Mash with the rest of the ingredients until it reaches a pureed texture.  Put one tablespoonful in each perogie.

13 comments:

  1. Both of your fillings look and sound delicious! Those berries are so full and vibrant, they must have been great inside the pierogi! Beautiful work on this challenge! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pierogis look fantastic, and I wish saskatoon berries were easier to find here!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so good, I hope you have plenty of room in your freezer! By the way, I really enjoyed visiting you here,

    With best and happy wishes, Michelle and my Zebbycat, xxx and purrrumbles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on this challenge!! Your perogies look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruth> thx for stopping by. Yes the saskatoons were very flavourful.

    Mary> wish I could mail you some :)

    Mickle> Thx :)

    Memoria> Also, thx!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on your challenge and both filings sounds so delicious. I am particularly intriged with the pureed carrot and spices one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Sarah, these look delicious! I have never heard of the Saskatoon Berries, though. We don't have these in Brazil, and if there are any here in Korea, I can't read its name... hehe I'll research for some pics and try to find them here.
    Sometimes I wish to participate on the Daring Cooks as well, but I haven't been brave enough. Finding ingredients here in Korea is not an easy task, either because of cultural issues or language issues. But after seeing your perogies... I'm tempted...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow your pierogies look delicious! Great job on this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the type of food that i have only eaten made commercially when in fact it should only be enjoyed homemade! Your version looks great and authentic and I would keep it in mind when I decide try my hand at these goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea to reroll into an oval. I wish I had thought to do that. Asiago is one of my favorite cheeses and probably really added a great flavor to the more traditional ones. Congrats on a great challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These all look delicious, but I am especially impressed by the saskatoon berry filling! I knew that the sugar would make sealing them awkward so I chickened out of making fruit-filled pierogies, but I regret it now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your ideas for fillings :)
    Thank you for taking part this month.

    Cheers. Anula.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My dh is of Ukrainian heritage, and his mom and aunt taught me how to make them. I am of Irish heritage, so I know potatoes, but I had never heard of these 40 yrs ago!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.