Cooking Classes

26.6.10

Mending a Broken Mayonnaise

I have not made mayonnaise in years, but what I do remember is that it was very easy.  As a result, I guess I just did not pay much attention to detail.  Previously I made it in a blender and it was a snap.  I don't have a blender right now so I thought I would try it with my hand mixer.  Disastrous!  It was just a mixture of oil and egg yolk and flavourings with no emulsion forming.

Rather than just toss it, I wanted to see if I could remake it successfully.  I did!

It was very simple.  I used one egg yolk and the oil mixture from the failed mayonnaise.  I left them both sit at room temperature for an hour or so.  It is critical that they both be at the same temperature.

Then I simply whipped the yolk by hand with a whisk.  Gradually, and I mean gradually, add the oil mixture.  I started with about a half a teaspoon and very gradually increased the amount of oil when the mixture was emulsified.  Eventually I was able to add by tablespoonfuls but I did not take a chance on a quantity larger than this.

It didn't take very long to produce a nice thick and creamy mayonnaise.  Store in an airtight container and chill.  Homemade mayonnaise will keep for about 3 weeks.

I will also share my recipe.  However, I am including the instructions for making it in a blender or food processor.  Alternatively, I would make it by hand with a whisk.

Mayonnaise

2 egg yolks
3/4 cup olive oil
3/4 cup canola oil
1/2 teaspoon of mustard powder
3/4 teaspoon of salt
pinch of cayenne pepper
4 to 5 teaspoons of lemon juice

Place yolks, salt, mustard, sugar, pepper, and 3 teaspoons lemon juice in blender cup or work bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal chopping blade, and buzz 15 seconds (use low blender speed). Now, with motor running, slowly drizzle in 1/4 cup oil (use moderately high blender speed). As mixture begins to thicken, continue adding oil in a fine steady stream, alternating with remaining lemon juice. Stop motor and scrape mixture down from sides of blender cup or work bowl as needed.

14 comments:

  1. I haven't made home made mayonnaise in years either and I don't know why; it tastes so much better than the jar. But I do have to make it in the blender; not enough strength in my arms to whisk it.I might just try this again.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made it once, and was less than perfect, but not bad...I'll leave it up to Hellmans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a mayo fan but I bet I'd like homemade mayo. I'm gonna give this a try for sure Sarah! thanks for the post & great tips on how to rescue a broken mayo :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use the food processor... it is a snap... but great tip for fixing a mistake. Whenever it doesn't work it is because of impatience... it does punish you, doesn't it???

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've yet to give homemade mayo a try but I think I'd like to see if I could accomplish this. Frieda over at Lovin' from the Oven finally achieved success by using her immersion blender in a straight sided mason jar after failing with both her blender and her food processor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mayo looks perfect!! Wow. I commend you on fixing your mayo. That's awesome. I also like the added flavors in your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never made mayo......I think I need to get my fat behind into gear and give it a try. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mayo never breaks, unless I drop the jar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sage> the blender is the way. I have to buy one again.

    buffalo> aah! You can do it!

    Andrea> I seldom use it but wanted to make a blue cheese dressing that called for mayo.

    Deana> I think I'll try my little mini prep. I make such a small amount that I don't think the regular food processor would be effective.

    Mags> an immersion blender is another thing I have to buy.

    Memoria> thx

    Pam> you are the lucky one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never made mayo before, i'm sure it would be interesting! Might have to try it sometime:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mayonnaise is something I've never made because I'm a little scared of it. (Pie crust is the other.) This doesn't look so hard, and you've even given instructions about what to do if it doesn't work. I may just try it! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holly> add it to your list!

    henfruit> it isn't difficult at all. Just need patience.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have tried making mayonnaise and am afraid that it might fail but after reading your post I think I will try making my own homemade mayo then :)

    Thanks for sharing how to remake the failed one :) it is useful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Elin> you are welcome. I thought it might be helpful.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.