Cooking Classes

9.6.10

Baked Potato Soup

I had a couple of baked potatoes left over from a barbecue a couple of days ago, and I am not one to waste food.  I did something different this time.  After sauteing the onion and celery, I added the potato puree back to the pan.  All the carmelization that occurred with the onions and celery was scraped up and blended into the soup.  This made a much richer colour.

Cream of Baked Potato Soup

2 baked potatoes, peeled
1 cup of milk
1/2 cup of whole cream
1/2 cup of chicken stock
1/4 teaspoon of wasabi powder
1 teaspoon of kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup finely diced sweet onion
1/4 cup finely diced celery
1 slice bacon, fried until crispy

Purée the potatoes, liquids, and seasonings in a food processor.  Meanwhile, saute the onion and celery until nicely carmelized.  Also add these to the food processor and purée.  Return all to the pan and reheat.  Serve garnished with crumbled, crisp cooked bacon.

12 comments:

  1. Wow - great idea using leftover baked potatoes and I love the addition of the wasabi powder. It looks rich and absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never done the pureed version- nice color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Easy to make and delicious!
    Cheers
    Khadija

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a restaurant near where I used to work that had the best baked potato soup. I would love to try and make it at home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Potato soup is one of all time favourite comfort foods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a lovely soup! The wasabi certainly adds a unique touch and I can tell how creamy your soup is, really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sarah,
    That soup sounds wonderful; looks creamy good. I have never heard of Wasabi powder; bet it gives it a little tang. Love to find something new that I can go searching for.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really a new recipe for me...It sounds healthy and delicious...I will certainly try this out. TQ

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a great idea. And since our temperature rocketed into the 70s last week, and is now hovering in the 50s this week, soup sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. June> just couldn't eat another baked potato!

    buffalo> I always puree my potato soup! Must be a prairie thing.

    Khadija> nice to hear from you!

    Pam> now I am challenged to improve this! I bet they had cheese in it.

    Valli> I agree.

    citron> thanks!

    Sage> wasabi is hot! Adds a nice bite.

    Jay> pure food.

    Marjie> same here. Maybe that is why I was in soup mode.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea to add the wasabi. I love using leftovers. It makes me feel righteous and wastefulness is just wrong. What do they say, we through 1/3 of our food away? Crazy. Thanks for the great recipe, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I needed another, soft-food meal to eat because I'm tired of eating the same things. Even though I've been eating mashed potatoes three days in a row, this is a different way I could eat some taters (hehe). Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.