Cooking Classes

10.6.10

Grilled Mahi Mahi with Pineapple Sambal and Guest Post for Lazaro

I am doing my very first ever guest post today!  Yeah!  Go to Lazaro's blog and let him know that you are reading.  This is what I have posted for him -

Hello to all of you, the Lazaro followers!  This is my first time participating in a guest post so I might feel a little stilted.  I must say, I had no idea I had become so comfortable talking to my own 'group' on my blog.

Actually I blogged for months before realizing I had a group.  So one day I added that gadget or widget thingy, whatever it is called.  Blew my socks off that people out there were reading me.  At first it felt weird, then I felt like I had my own little soap box and then I realized I had found a whole group of new friends.  I love this blogging world.

I have no idea how Lazaro and I met but glad we did.  I love reading his posts and also meeting all of you through his blog.  When he asked me to be a guest, I didn't even have to think.  I wasn't sure what to make and then I relaxed back into my own groove and realized that I am inspired by what is in my kitchen.

Pineapple was on sale and I could not resist.  Now comes the challenge.  What do I do with it?  I live alone and all this cooking can sometimes provide way more food than I can manage to eat.  So if I am able put it away for a later use, it is a bonus.

The obvious ideas are a fruity salsa, a sorbet or grilled.  But I would really like to try something new.  And, since I am guest blogging for Lazaro, I would like something somewhat new and exciting.

Scanning through a lot of the same ideas for pineapple finally led me to this one.  It was love at first sight.  The pineapple was cooked and this means that I can preserve this in jars or freeze it for later use.

Actually, I have never thought of pineapple as a blank palette for showcasing flavours.  I found this sambal.

If you plan to preserve the leftover sambal, then do not stir in the cilantro.  Set aside the sambal you will be preserving and stir cilantro only into the portion that you will be eating immediately.  When you serve the preserves, stir cilantro in at the time of serving it for a fresher taste.

Pineapple and mahi mahi are a match made in a Pacific island.  This fish is also very firm and ideal for grilling on a barbecue.  I simply brushed the fish with olive oil, seasoned with salt and pepper and then placed it directly on the grill.

I grilled it for 2 minutes then placed it to get a nice criss-cross grilling pattern and grilled for 2 more minutes.  Then I turned it over and did the same on the other side.  This was enough to completely cook the fish.

Grilled Mahi Mahi with Pineapple Sambal

In Indonesia the word sambal covers a very wide range of condiments.  This one is sweet and spicy.

2 garlic cloves, minced
3 shallots, finely chopped
3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
2 fresh Thai chilis or 3 serranos, minced including seeds
1 pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 1/2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
6 pieces ( an inch or more thick) with skin on mahi mahi

Cook garlic and shallots in 2 tablespoons of oil in a heavy 12" skillet over medium heat until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.  Add chiles and pineapple and cook over moderately high heat and stirring occasionally, until pineapple is softened, about 4 or 5 minutes.  Add fish sauce, sugar and salt and saute sambal, stirring, 30 seconds.  Cool to room temperature and then stir in cilantro.

While sambal is cooling, prepare the grill for cooking.  If you are using a charcoal grill, open the bottom vents and light charcoal.  If using a gas grill, heat on medium.  Charcoal fire is medium hot when you can hold your hand for 3 or 4 seconds  5 inches over the coals.

Brush fish all over with remaining oil.  Grill skin sides down until skin is crisp, 4 or 5 minutes.  Turn over and grill just until fish is cooked through, 4 or 5 minutes more.  Serve with sambal.

10 comments:

  1. Sarah
    I love the sound of that word "sambal" sounds like dancing in the street! anyway, the ingredients sounds fantastic and grilling the fish outdoors is also the best option. Gonna head on to Lazarro to check you out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking fish- tasty too, I bet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful dish. Thank you for sharing your wonderful talent with us.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky Lazaro, having you as a guest blogger! Of course, you've created another lovely dish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anything with fish sauce and cilantro goes on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That pineapple sambal looks divine... how lucky for Lazaro that you moved from Canada to a warm state of mind to do a guest post... num!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that I know I like mahi mahi I can't wait to try this. I even have the fish sauce in my pantry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Found you on Lazaro. Such beautiful dishes. I adore you!

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner?
    www.MaWhats4Dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love a fruit-based sauce with mahi mahi, and this sounds so great with the Thai chiles. Sounds like a great meal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sarah, great choice of recipe for lazaro's blog! beautiful mahi mahi dish!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.