Cooking Classes

19.6.10

Ginger Rhubarb Chutney

I want to make full use of my rhubarb.  After making the rhubarb simple syrup, I had pulp left over.  I thought that a chutney would be a good use for it.  This is delicious with an aged cheddar.  This is my last post on rhubarb...for now!

Ginger Rhubarb Chutney

5 cups of rhubarb, cut into 1" pieces
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup finely diced fresh ginger
1 or 2 cinnamon sticks
1 tablespoon of finely grated lemon zest
3/4 cup golden raisins
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

Combine the brown sugar, vinegar and lemon zest in a medium sized non-reactive pot and simmer until the sugar is completely dissolved.  Add the rhubarb, cinnamon and ginger.  Continue to cook until the rhubarb has completely broken down.  Add raisins, walnuts and salt.  Simmer for another 5 minutes.  Chill and serve.

9 comments:

  1. I love ginger and rhubarb, the chutney is perfect. If I ever get any rhubarb, I am making this for sure! I've made a rhubarb, plum crisp with crystallized ginger. The ginger and rhubarb work great together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhubarb and Cheddar- I never would have thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am gonna try this...absolutely mouth watery click dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have really posted some great and unusual uses for the rhubarb!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lyndsey> it is really good. Very gingery, which in my mind is a good chutney.

    buffalo> think chutney and cheese. I would also pair it with my pate.

    Jay> that's great!

    Pam> I was digging for something outside of just desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am OH.. so curious about this rhubarb, I've never seen it, never tried it... I've seen so many recipes these days with it. I have researched the Internet and it isn't very well known in Brazil. Neither have I seen it here in Korea. I was already curious about it, and now you made one of my favorite things ever, which is chutney... sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vorrei proprio provare una ricetta come questa... non l'ho mai preparata e nemmeno assaggiata non è molto comune in italia, grazie ciao

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do come up with great ideas for that rhubarb; chutney and cheese with a cracker or baguette! doesn't get better than that.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  9. i've only recently decided that i'm obsessed with chutney in all its various forms. this is a unique and quite appealing batch!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.