Cooking Classes

22.6.10

Chocolate Ancho Chili Flourless Cake

I made this cake last week.  There were a couple of people with lots of stress in their lives and a birthday, so I brought this as a birthday cake.  I had already purchased some amazing chocolate online at Chocolat-Chocolat in Montreal.  I received it in about 4 or 5 days.  I bought 6 kg of superior grade chocolate.  Everyone thinks I'm crazy, but it has a two year shelf life and I have a cold room.

At some point I will do a chocolate tasting class and I am all set.

And as an ulterior motive, it will begin to introduce my colleagues to my cooking.  I am using only the best of ingredients - a Dutch process cocoa powder and a 70% dark chocolate couverture.

I took my camera to the office but between the stress of having people taste my cooking and their ravenous appetites, I didn't get any pictures!  The real whipped cream really impressed them.  As well, I took some nice plates and my good flatware.  With all that money spent on good chocolate, there was no way we were going to eat these on paper plates with plastic forks.

Chocolate Ancho Chili Flourless Cake                     Emeril Lagasse

1 cup unsalted butter
8 ounces dark chocolate
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3 tablespoons ancho chili powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 large eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
pinch of ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350F.

Lightly butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan.  Line the bottom with parchment paper.  Set aside.

In the top of a double boiler, melt the chocolate and butter over medium low heat.  Remove from the heat and mix in the cocoa powder, ancho chili powder and salt.

In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks with 1/2 cup of the sugar until thick and pale yellow in colour.  Fold the chocolate mixture into the yolks and mix well.

In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until thick.  Whisking, add the remaining 1/2 cup sugar gradually and continue to beat to form a light meringue.  In several additions, fold into the chocolate mixture, being careful not to deflate the meringue.  Gently pour into the prepared pan and bake until the edges are set but the centre is still moist and a few crumbs stick to a tester, about 45 minutes.

Remove from the oven and cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.

Run a thin, sharp knive around the edge of the cake.  Remove the pan sides and gently lift away the cake.  Invert onto a cake plate, remove the bottom and peel away the parchment.

In a bowl, beat the cream with an electric mixer until frothy.  Add the confectioner's sugar and cinnamon and continue to beat until the cream holds soft peaks.

To serve, slice the cake with a portion of the sweetened whipped cream.  Garnish with cocoa powder and serve.

12 comments:

  1. Oh, that chocolate looks great!! I love the addition of ancho in it. YUM! I bet the cake was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to try this!!!! I got one of those chocolate bars with the chili in it and it was DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried chili powder in a cake before but I'm usually game to try anything once. It does sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delicious! Now I need to imagine what it looks like! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds delicious!! Anchos are by far my favorite chili, I want to make this now!!! Good for you for having such fantastic chocolate at your disposal. I'm more than a little jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Remindful of a mole flavor...bet it was great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First, when I find something I like, I buy enough to last a long time, preferably as long as its shelf life. Second, don't let anyone tell you what to put in your kitchen. Chocolate equals happiness! I'm going to forward this to a friend whose baby is GF!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Memoria> it is an amazingly rich and dense cake

    Lexi> you won't be disappointed.

    Mags> live a little! You will enjoy!

    Tummies> I am so disappointed that I didn't even get one picture. It is like a one layer round cake and very dense and rich. Cut sliver sized pieces. Garnish with whipped cream and I added slice strawberries.

    Andrea> I am still learning about chilis. So far I like anchos, too. Very versatile.

    buffalodick> it does make one think of a mole!

    Marjie> you are the practical one! I like your thinking. I think it is a great idea, especially for someone like me, out in the middle of nowhere.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How I love chili and chocolate... they were made to go together, don't you think? I often can't take a picture of stuff I make for company... it just gets made and eaten... no one wants to wait for pictures!!! This cake I've just got to make!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Deana> so true. More important to serve and enjoy the food!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh this makes me drool a little... Chocolate flourless cakes are heavenly, though I've never made one, and a little spice sounds like a great complement to its richness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. frankly, this cake could've been the most mangled, hideous creation and i'd still love it--it has all the right ingredients to make me giddy. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.