Cooking Classes

19.1.11

Haskap Crumble Squares


These are some squares I made back in the summer.  I have been holding back, but I think I should share!  Haskaps are also known as Blue Honeysuckle and have been brought in from Russian.  The soil conditions and climate in Saskatchewan seem to be ideal. They can be picked in June, which is way earlier than any other fruit.

I have been experimenting with them and have come up with a few really good recipes.  This is one.  Please check here for the recipe for haskap jam to be used in this recipe.  A rich raspberry jam would also work if you do not have access to hasksaps.

Haskap Crumble Squares

1 ½ c unbleached flour
1 ½ c rolled oats
¾ c chopped almonds
1 c brown sugar
1 t baking powder
½ t cinnamon
¼ t salt
1 c unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 - 1 1/2 cups haskap jam

Preheat oven to 375F.  Grease a 9”x9” baking pan.

In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients except almonds.  Cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly.  Set aside 1 cup of the mixture for topping.

Press the crumble on the bottom of the baking pan.  Evenly spread the jam over the crumble.  A thin layer is all you need.  The berries are amazingly intense and a little goes a long way.  Sprinkle with the chopped almonds and then the reserved crumb mixture.  Pat down gently.

Bake for 30 – 35 minutes until golden.  Cool completely before cutting into squares.

14 comments:

  1. Oh good a reciped that you've been holding on too. Sounds good, I haven't heard of haskap before. My friends mom made a jam tart that reminds me of this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good Sarah!! What an interesting little berry. Wish I could find them here in Colorado. Oh well I have some delicious homemade raspberry jam that would work fine :) Hows the home reno going?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Things like this make me long for summer, especially with snow on the ground. But since I have less snow than you, I can't whine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never heard of this jam..crumble squares are such a favorite here..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haskaps! Never heard of them before!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! I have never heard of haskap but, if it is a summer berry it has to be good. The crumble looks delightful.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always amazed at your experiments with "unknown to most" ingredients. I googled images of haskap berries and they look like a variation of blueberries. This crumble must be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never heard of these before... what do they taste like??? I have such a sweet tooth... these would be great to keep on hand for a snack... and I do have elderberry jam!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haskaps are new to me, Sarah. I love learning about new things! These crumble squares look crunchy and delicious...glad I can use raspberry jam, although I'd love to taste haskap jam.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds so wonderful! Love the crunchy coating of oats and flour and butter. I love fruit like these. I heard the Russians used to sweeten their tea with it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haskaps? Who knew? Have you heard of Siberian seaberries? It's another fruit being introduced to the Pacific NW and apparently blows the roof off of the daily charts for Vitamin C.

    Thanks for the recipe, I have some Blackberry jam just waiting to be upgraded.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't have haskaps but I'm sure I could find a suitable jam to go in these tasty bars! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. haskaps, eh? what a fun name. i haven't tried them personally, but i'm pretty sure you could surround anything with that crumble mixture and come out with a success. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.