Cooking Classes

30.1.11

Chipotle Crockpot Chicken

 

Spicy Crockpot Chicken With Chipotle Marmalade Sauce

I used one of my wonderful Hutterite chickens.  I cut it into pieces leaving the legs and thighs with the bone in and skin on and the breasts both boneless and skinless.  Cut into serving size pieces.  Reserve the bones for chicken stock.  After cooking, I removed the skin from the thighs and legs.

I also had tried making my own chipotles in adobo sauce from a recipe on Mangio da Sola.  They worked great.  I also had my own clementine marmalade and chopped it a little finer.  You can make a lot of substitutions with this recipe and it will turn out great.

What I like about this recipe is that you do not have to pre-brown the chicken pieces.  That saves a bit of kitchen cleanup.

  • 2 tablespoons of finely chopped chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
  • 1/3 cup sweet clementine marmalade
  • 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
  • 1 clove garlic, finely minced
  • 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • Dash pepper
  • Dash salt
  • 1 chicken, cut into serving size pieces
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons cold water
Combine the chipotle with adobo sauce, marmalade, chili powder, garlic powder, vinegar, honey, chicken broth, and oil. Wash chicken and pat dry; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Arrange the chicken pieces in the slow cooker; pour marmalade mixer over all. Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 7 hours, or until chicken is cooked through.  Do not overcook.
In the last hour of the cooking, combine the cornstarch with cold water until smooth; stir into the sauce and continue cooking. Serve the chicken with steamed rice and vegetables of your choice.
Serves 4.

15 comments:

  1. This looks and sounds wonderful! I use my crock pot a lot and I think my family will enjoy this.

    www.kissingtheleper.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great combination of flavors! I love anything chipotle and with the marmalade...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah!
    This looks great - and you are cooking again! Does that mean the kitchen is finished - or this is the electric frying pan dinner, still?
    I now have to go to the site to learn how to make my own Chipotles in adobo sauce.
    I love the smoky sweet heat thing in this recipe!
    :)
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Valerie> no, I am not in my kitchen yet! Gettin' there though. Feb 7 is delivery for appliances and to move my furniture back in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love chicken! This looks nice and moist and tender. How's the reno coming?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the flavor combo of the clementine marmalade and the chipotle in adobo - sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing this fabulous recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love easy crock pot recipes- this one looks delicious! I know you can't wait for your new kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love easy dinner recipes, and this one looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No crockpot but boy do I love this flavor combo... it's really beautiful. I'm going to try it tomorrow... will let you know how it turns out! Perfect food for a blizzard!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is your kitchen finally done? How exciting!
    Pics are forthcoming, I hope.
    So wish I hadn't given my crock pot away. :( This dish really looks lovely, Sarah. Interesting marmalade sauce too. Be great over brown rice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another reminder that the crockpot can be used to prepare wonderful meals.

    I hope you are staying warm in this wicked Winter weather.
    Could it be true? Is the kitchen finished?

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  12. sounds delicious and oh so so comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just a note... I made it... very differently since I only had chicken breast and no stockpot but the sauce was amazing... thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks amazing - I am in the process of acquiring a stockpot so this is of interest to me!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.