Cooking Classes

11.11.09

Paula Deen's Bread Pudding


I really miss the Food Network in Canada.  Down here there is a lot of Paula Deen, Emeril Legasse and the Neely's.  Paula's recipes are so full of fat and sugar!  And get those rings off your fingers when you are working in the kitchen!  Oh well, they love her.  What do I know.  I am using leftover panettone from a few days ago.  I thought it would be fun to try.  But for our peace of mind, I have drastically reduced the fat, sugar and eggs in the pudding, and it is still very rich.  You could also make the accompanying sauce but I doubt you will need it.  Personally, I would use either the pecan topping or the sauce.  Or, if you would like to keep the calories somewhat reasonable, use neither.

  • Bread Pudding               Serves 4 
  • 1/2 c granulated sugar
  • 2 large beaten eggs
  • 1 c low-fat milk
  • 1 t pure vanilla extract
  • 2 c cubed panettone, allow to stale overnight in a bowl
  • 1/4 c packed light brown sugar
  • 1 T butter, softened
  • 1/4 c chopped pecans
  • For the sauce
  • 1/2 c white sugar
  • 1/4 c butter, melted
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 t pure vanilla extract
  • 2 T brandy

Directions


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a loaf pan.
Mix together granulated sugar, eggs, and milk in a bowl; add vanilla. Pour over cubed bread and let sit for 10 minutes.
In another bowl, mix and crumble together brown sugar, butter, and pecans.
Pour bread mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle brown sugar mixture over the top and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until set. Remove from oven.

For the sauce:

Mix together the granulated sugar, butter, egg, and vanilla in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir together until the sugar is melted. Add the brandy, stirring well. Pour over bread pudding. Serve warm or cold.

4 comments:

  1. That looks like the one I had at an Irish resturant, near Glendale Ca. It was soo good. I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where can I find the entire recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do I find the full recipe?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.