Cooking Classes

21.8.13

Low and Slow Beef Brisket Makes Amazing Chili

I have been holding out on you with this recipe. A couple of weeks ago I became a registered barbecue judge. Yep, I can judge anywhere in the Pacific Northwest in both Canada and the USA. Yeah! I will try to get and see some good 'cue.

The same weekend I jumped right in and judged at the North Battleford 'Those Were The Days'. What I find interesting about judging is that any meat I don't eat, I can take home. We each bring our own personal cooler. My low and slow barbecue brisket became this amazing chili.

I don't know if this authentic Texas chili but it is loosely taken from a recipe by that name. I had a squash on hand. Bonus! I love the flavour of it in chili and would never have thought to use it. Usually I find beans of some sort in chili.

Low and Slow Beef Brisket Texas Chili

1 lb. fully cooked barbecue brisket, cubed
1 c. chopped onions
6 slices bacon, diced
1/2 butternut or kabocha squash, seeded, peeled and cubed
1 can whole tomatoes
1 fire roasted poblano chili, finely chopped
2 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro stems
1 dried ancho chili
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. cumin
2 large garlic cloves, peeled

Soak dried ancho chili in 1/2 cup boiling water for 30 minutes or more.

In a Dutch oven, cook bacon until tender but not browned. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add beef.

In a blender, puree the ancho chili, garlic cloves, chili powder, oregano and cumin. Pour over beef. Add can of tomatoes and remainder of ingredients to the beef mixture.

Bake in a 350F oven for 1 hour. Serve. Garnish with sour cream, diced avocado, fresh cilantro leaves and shredded Monterey Jack cheese. Serves 6 generously.



6 comments:

  1. They drilled it into us in Home Economics that chilli with beans was chili con carne, but it depends on where you are from.No matter I am sure this was delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's weird because my Dad made a trip to Texas when I was in school and came back saying that chili con carne is BEANS with meat, meaning there are more beans than meat.

      Delete
  2. Lucky you to have the opportunity to bring home the meat. LOL This looks amazing and congrats on becoming a judge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it kind of weird initially, to think I would take food home. But why waste good food. It makes total sense. I had several meals from my pulled pork, chicken and brisket.

      Delete
  3. Yum for you....your own personal cooler. Superb. And congratulations.

    I love the look of the chilli, and I'm sure with the slow cooked brisket it was melt-in-your mouth tender and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally believe chili is whatever you want it to be. Sounds delish, Sarah.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.