Cooking Classes

19.2.13

Always...Carry a Corkscrew



I was a very crafty teenager. I learned macrame, crochet, knitting, sewing and foraged for wolf willow berries for the seeds that made beautiful beads. I studied home economics at university. Then I moved to Calgary and became a skier! Crafts took a back seat to hiking and skiing in the mountains.

To find myself working on a little project tonight took me back to the relaxation of working with my hands. The kids at the Hutterite Colony where I am a substitute teacher gave me a rustic chalkboard. They were about to throw it into the burning barrel when I saved it.
I'll paint the back to tidy it up.

I popped my trunk and they tossed it in.

The chalkboard is a vintage green board attached to chip board. It was okay like this but really needed some dressing up before I would take it to my table at the Farmers' Market. The back side gives a hint as to how the front looked.

I have been saving wine corks for eons. It just kind of came together tonight. I hot glued wine corks around the chalk board to hide the rough wood and it was successful, don't you think!

7 comments:

  1. I would like to think I contributed to drinking some of those bottles.
    -Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to hang my Wineaux ballcap over the corner! I cannot think of wine without remembering the great bottles we have enjoyed. Hey, I just won a raffle basket that had a $190 bottle of Dom Perignon! Woo Hoo! I might have to save it for a trip to the island.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable and as for the written words, I couldn't agree more. Wish we had met during the Calgary years. I think we would have enjoyed a lot in common.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I have to find something to do with all of my corks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun project Sarah. I always say I am not craft but I remember embroidering shirts, sewing and doing macrame projects as a teen as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great with the wine corks around the edge - and you can pin little notes to the wine corks if you have more than one message that you want to relay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How gorgeous. Boost for my small collection of corks!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.