Cooking Classes

27.3.12

Sprouts in a Jar

While I was shopping for seeds for the garden, I came across a few seeds for sprouting.  My favourite is alfalfa but I had to settle for broccoli and some mustard seeds.  I started with the broccoli and it took about 5 - 6 days.  Many of the seeds didn't sprout.  I have no idea if that is normal but it made for an expensive bit of sprouts.  It made about a pint and cost about $2.50.

Simply cut a piece of cheesecloth to fit the top of a jar and use the metal ring to hold it in place.  Rinse the seeds twice a day until they are the size you want.

Drain all the water and leave the jar upside down, slightly atilt so any residual water can drain.

3 comments:

  1. I have some mung beans sprouting right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a four layered sprouter which works like a dream. Water daily and the water runs through to the bottom where it gathers not touching the seed. It just keeps it moist and I love it. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, do U need to soak brocalli seeds first, if yes try to soak them in luke warm water as that trick worked for me when my half of the mung beans were not sprouting....hth....

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.