Cooking Classes

26.12.11

Pear and Roquefort Salad

We made this salad at one of the cooking classes and it was a hit.  Even those who didn't think they liked blue cheese loved this salad.  I made it again yesterday for a Christmas dinner package I delivered.  I hope they enjoy it as much as I do.

Pear and Roguefort Salad

1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
3 firm ripe Anjou or Bartlett pears
8 cups spring greens
2 ounces Roquefort cheese, crumbled

Whisk together mustrd, vinegar, salt and pepper to taste in a bowl.  Add 1/4 cup oil in a slow stream as you whisk to maintain an emulsion.  Add in shallots.

Toast pecans in a dry pan. 

Halve and core pears and coarsely chop.  Toss all and serve immediately.  Garnish with pomegranate seeds.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful salad! The flavors sound delightful, too. Fresh, bright and slightly salty sweet. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really like blue cheese, but if you are sure....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know why I love your blog, Sarah... this is one of my favorite salads... or at least something like it. The bitterer the greens the better and I love the flavors. I have everything but the greens and am inspired to pick them up!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.