Cooking Classes

28.12.09

Chicken Paillards with Clementine Salsa



I am sure we are thinking the same thing.  First it was Canadian Thanksgiving, then it was American Thanksgiving and finally Christmas and New Year's.  We are very ready to lighten our menus and drop a coupla pounds.  Right?  I think Epicurious was ahead of the game.  This recipe was posted on December 22 and caught my eye right away because I have clementines waiting to be eaten.

But what are paillards?  French paillarde, from Paillard, late 19th century French restaurateur.  It usually refers to beef or veal pounded thin but in this case it is chicken.  This not only shortens the cooking time but it also tenderizes the meat.  This is a great mid-week meal.  I think this salsa would also be nice with fish or shrimp.


 Chicken Paillards with Clementine Salsa              serves 4


4 5-ounce chicken breast halves
4 clementines, peeled, diced (about 1 cup)
1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/2 cup finely diced red onion
1/2 cup finely diced celery
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 serrano chile, seeded, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup fresh clementine juice (from about 6 clementines)

Place chicken breast halves between 2 sheets plastic wrap or parchment paper, spacing apart. Using mallet, pound chicken to 1/4-inch thickness. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.
Mix clementines and next 8 ingredients in medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD: Salsa can be made 2 hours ahead. Cover; let stand at room temperature.
Uncover chicken; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until slightly browned and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to platter. Add clementine juice to skillet; boil until reduced to 1/4 cup, stirring often, about 2 minutes. Drizzle sauce over chicken. Spoon salsa over and serve.

7 comments:

  1. I really enjoy chicken..paillards:) and citrusy/onion salsas..Thank you..I can safely say..this coming year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really looks delicious and has sufficient spice to keep the big guy happy. I can't wait to give it a try. Thanks for sharing it Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to use the clementines I have left!

    I could use something light, too after all the heavy-duty meals I've had lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds so good and light!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this just the other night! But I didn't use cherry tomatoes because they were like $1982350 per pint. We ate the salsa the next day with chips, too. It was soooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carter, I was checkin' the price, too. Somehow, they were only $2 and the grape tomatoes were a gazillion!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Voilà une combinaison qui me plait beaucoup.
    je note la recette.
    Happy New Year Sarah.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.