Cooking Classes

29.10.10

Pumpkin Buttermilk Bundt Cake

I am subbing in schools now!  It is a little business where I have to build up my clientele!  Who woulda thought.  I have to cajole the teachers into 'picking me'!  I am subbing for the Art and Sewing teacher at the high school tomorrow and I thought this little cake might make a splash in the staff room.  It smells so delicious!  I might have to steal a piece for my breakfast.  I will just stick a few of my business cards in it as decoration!


Pumpkin Buttermilk Bundt Cake
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened, plus additional for greasing bundt pan
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour plus additional for dusting pan
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups canned solid-pack pumpkin (from a 15-oz can; not pie filling)
3/4 cup well-shaken buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs


For glaze:
2 T butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1-3 T cream or milk


Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour bundt pan. Combine together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, and salt in a bowl. Whisk together pumpkin, buttermilk and vanilla in another bowl.

Beat butter and granulated sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes, then add eggs and beat 1 minute. Reduce speed to low and add flour and pumpkin mixtures alternately in batches, beginning and ending with flour mixture and mixing until batter is just smooth.

Spoon batter into pan. Shake a few times to be sure to remove any bumps then bake until a wooden pick or skewer inserted in center of cake comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool cake in pan on a rack 15 minutes, then invert rack over cake and reinvert cake onto rack. Cool 10 minutes more.

To make glaze, heat butter until melted. Stir in sifted powdered sugar. Mix in cream or milk 1 Tablespoon at a time until desired consistency. Drizzle over cake while it is on a wire rack so excess falls through.

Pour into prepared bundt pan and bake for approximately 45 minutes at 350F.  Let cool and then drizzle with glaze.

11 comments:

  1. I will try this recipe, but will use some pumpkin form my garden. I guess I will need to cook it first. Looks good I am sure it will go down well. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah è fantastica questa tua torta ...wow ! ciao

    ReplyDelete
  3. Un seul mot / MAGNIFIQUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bon weekend et à bientôt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous perfect cake, Sarah! I just made my favorite bundt and forgot the baking powder!!! it was a very flat, very chewy, not very good cake. How silly.

    That's great you are subbing... the kids are so lucky to have you and your international recipe book... that ought to wow them in small-town Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds perfect. I can smell the pumpkin wafting through the house...at least, I will be, this weekend. I can hardly wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I finally bought a bundt pan and can't wait to try this recipe. It sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This cake sounds delicious! Wish you could sub for me. :) I'd love some of this cake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many great pumpkin recipes, so little autumn. This should surely bribe teachers into picking you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I'll use my leftover pumpkin puree to make THIS as soon as we've polished off the pie I made yesterday. :)

    YUM.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.