Cooking Classes

6.10.10

Duck Prosciutto


I am experimenting with charcuterie.  I tried making duck prosciutto and it is actually very nice.  I cured the duck breast in kosher salt, sugar and spices for 2 days.  Then I wrapped it in muslin and let it dry for 5 days in a slightly humid cellar.

My knife isn't so sharp so slicing thinly was a challenge.  I tried it with a little cedar jelly and it was amazing.  I also tried it with capers and was still good but better with the sweet and aromatic cedar jelly.

When slicing, I used the same rules as with salmon gravlax.  Lay it skin side down and slice through the meat, then the fat and not through the skin.

The next time I make this, I will be smoking it slightly for added dimension.

8 comments:

  1. This will be fantastic smoked. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You have been working hard. I have never prepared duck but I did have the pleasure of enjoying it at a friend's. Your prosciutto sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane> I think so, too.

    Kate> thank you. I love duck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love duck... prosciutto??? What a great idea... all that lovely fat and curing. I just need to get more duck (and the fat for those fries of yours).

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do such imaginative and creative things! Would that I had the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, this is certainly quite a feat, Sarah! making one's one cured meats and prosciutto on top of it all. WOW....WOW....WOW! I also wanted to let you know that your "autumn moon' photo is still haunting me, so I highlighted it tonight on my weekend Fresh Clean and Pure get-together. You truly captured the moon's mysterious look! I hope you stop by and share again! And hey, enjoy that duck!!!! Roz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah - could you send me specific instructions... exactly the spices and how you did this. I would love to try it.
    :)
    Valeire

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic idea! Love the photos too.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.