Cooking Classes

18.3.15

Saucy Cajun Round Steak


A nicely cooked and satisfying home dinner in my home is more elusive than most would imagine. True, I am posting delicious looking food every few days. In reality many of these dishes are prepared for my newspaper column. 

After spending up to two hours photographing the food it is hardly appetizing. Leftovers are often frozen for work lunches. Many recipes are theoretically good to freeze but in actuality the quality is compromised. What I am saying is that I take a taste of the freshly made food but most times I am eating leftovers.

Then there the times that I am testing a recipe and, how do I say this politely, I don't like it. But someone else might like it. Most times I suggest changes that I feel will improve the dish. A quality, nutritious, delicious meal is long overdue.  

I don't mean to say that a meal isn't a meal without meat but it has been a long time since I have made a nice beef meal. And I don't mean to hint that because I am watching calories that I have not had a real meal. I am finding great satisfaction in simple, nicely cooked food eaten mindfully.

What I mean is that I have not had real food in the house for a couple of days and yesterday I resorted to a KFC supper.  Who hasn't done that?

This is an inner round cut steak which means it is a less tender cut. Less tender cuts are from the muscles that are used more. They require long, moist heat to tenderize and bread down the connective tissue that makes this meat tough.

The less tender cuts are usually more flavourful and always lower in fat. They are less expensive and they are equally as nutritious as the most tender, high priced steak. 

Any sweet green pepper can be used. The Anaheim green pepper is mildly hot and is often used in making chile relleno. If left in the field it will ripen to orange and red. I found this one for half price in the produce department the other day and making this dish even more cost friendly.

To be clear, I love this meal. The seasoning is balanced and not spicy. The sauce pairs very well with a plain basmati rice. Add a vegetable or two and you have a nutritionally balanced meal. 

Saucy Cajun Round Steak

1/4 c. all purpose flour
1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper
1 lb. inside round marinating steak
1 tbsp. canola oil
2 onions, sliced
2 tsp. Cajun seasoning 
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 c. tomato paste
1 1/2 c. beef stock
2 Anaheim green peppers
2 green onions, for garnish
2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley, for garnish

In large plastic bag, shake together flour, salt and pepper. Cut steak into 8 pieces. One piece at a time, seal steak in bag; pound with meat mallet to 1/4-inch thickness, working flour mixture into meat. Reserve any remaining flour mixture.

In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown meat well, in batches if necessary. Remove to plate.

Add onions, garlic, celery, Cajun seasoning and thyme. Cook, stirring, until onions are softened, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with any reserved flour mixture. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk tomato paste into stock and pour into pan. Return steaks and any accumulated juices to pan.

Cover and simmer over low heat, turning steaks halfway through, 1 hour and 45 minutes. Add green pepper. Simmer, covered, until steaks are fork-tender and green pepper is tender-crisp, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with green onions and parsley.

1 comment:

  1. I always want meat, starch and 2 veggies minimum in every meal. That's what makes me feel best. I often use the tougher cuts of meat, because when cooked properly, they are great. Yours looks like a well seasoned meal.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.