Saskatoons are a very healthy berry. They are high in antioxidants and fibre. Pie works best if the filling is made in advance and then bake the filled pastry. I made this in advance. I made the pies, froze them, then defrosted in the refrigerator for about 6 hours. Then baked as fresh below.
Saskatoon Berry Pie
- 4 cups saskatoon berries
- 3/4 cup sugar, granulated
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup water
- Pastry for double crust pie
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a saucepan, simmer saskatoon berries in water for 10 minutes. Add lemon juice. Stir in granulated sugar mixed with flour.
- Pour into pastry lined pie plate. Dot with butter. Cover with top crust; seal and flute edges.
- Bake in 425F oven for 15 minutes; reduce heat to 350F oven and bake 35-45 minutes longer or until golden brown.
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
4 egg yolks
2 cups half and half cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
Whisk yolks and sugar until lemon coloured. In a sauce pan scald the cream with the vanilla seeds and bean. Temper the egg yolks with this hot milk. Do this by adding a little at a time while whisking the egg yolks. Eventually you will have added all the milk. Cook this mixture in a double boiler until thickened. Cool, strain, churn according to your machine's directions.