Cooking Classes

26.12.12

Glazed Roast Pheasant

This is another contribution to our Wild Night on December 23. I brined the pheasant and then followed this recipe from Hunter Angler Gardener Cook. It was delicious! There was more meat on the birds than I had expected. I served it with my home preserved Gooseberry Chutney.
We also enjoyed moose roast, venison sausage, spicy moose sausage and saskatoon berry pie with homemade vanilla bean ice cream.

My father has been collecting coins for as long as I can remember. Now he felt it was time to pass them on to us. We spent about two hours going through everything from Meat Ration Tokens from WWII, to shinplaster, Two Dollar American paper bills to turn of the century coins. Thanks, Dad! It was fun.

Glazed Roast Pheasant                    Hunter Angler Gardener Cook
Serves 2

1 pheasant, plucked with skin on
1/4 c. Kosher salt
4 c. water
1/4 c. maple syrup
dried garden sage leaves
1 tsp. cayenne
ground black pepper

Mix salt and water together. Whisk to dissolve salt. When it is dissolved, pour it over the pheasant in a plastic bag. Leave in refrigerator for 4 - 8 hours. Remove and pat dry. Let it rest on a cutting board while the oven heats to 450F.

Put sage in pheasant cavity and dust the bird with cayenne. Place sliced carrots, celery and onion on the bottom of the pan and place pheasant atop this.

Roast for 15 minutes at 450F, then drop the heat to 375F and roast for another 20 minutes. Baste with syrup. Roast for another 30 - 40 minutes, basing twice in the first 20 minutes. Remove pheasant if the glaze burns.

Remove to a cutting board and tent with foil for 10 - 15 minutes. Carve and serve.


Gooseberry chutney   adapted from blog Senses in the Kitchen

Makes 2½ jars, 190ml each

1 lb gooseberry, topped and tailed
1 large onion, peeled and diced
handful of sultanas
2/3 cup soft brown sugar
3/4 cup malt vinegar
1 tsp salt
½ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
tsp mustard seeds

Place all of the above in heavy based pan and bring to boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for about 1.5 hrs. Occasionally stir, gently so you do not break up gooseberries too much. Keep an eye on it on last 15 minutes, stirring more often, so it prevents the chutney to catch and burn.

Place hot chutney in sterilised jars, seal and turn up side down. Leave it to cool down and store in cool, dark place. Allow to mature for about 2 months.

12 comments:

  1. I have such a strong memory of pheasant being terribly gamey. I was a child when I first tasted it. WHen I had it a few years back I couldn't believe how mild and delicious it was (not the gamey is always bad). Yours is a great recipe... especially in love with that gooseberry chutney~~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever had pheasant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wild night sounds like a fun way to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Pheasant looks wonderful, with the gooseberry chutney. Most of all, I love that your dad shared so much of himself by giving you his coins and notes. It is SO important to 'collect' something - coins, stamps, spoons, egg cups......what a way to devote energy and passion. Have a truly great holiday season. Lots of kind wishes X X X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wild Night-what a very cool theme. I really enjoy pheasant but rarely eat it. Yours looks delightful.

    Your dad's coin collection is special it reflects his history. Awesome.

    Happy New Year.
    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice thing to do with your dad:)

    I have John F Kennedy coins..that's about it..and Expo 67 somewhere:)

    Have fun on NYE:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Se ve irresistible me encanta luce muy rico..Feliz Año Nuevo…abrazos y abrazos

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wishing you all the best for 2013 Sarah! Peace Health and Joy for you!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks SO good Sarah! Your friends are so lucky to share in your cooking talents! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great recipe..I love Hank's blog. A lot of people don't care for pheasant, but I'm not one of them. I love it.
    (The stockings my daughter wore are from Wolford.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. appétissant et délicieux je te souhaite une excellente année 2013 plein de bonnes choses

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.