Cooking Classes

23.9.12

Zucchini and Autumn


Zucchini and autumn is a given in the farm kitchen. You don't have one without the other. I was a substitute teacher at a nearby Hutterite Colony a couple of weeks ago and the children presented me with two huge zucchinis. 'Make something for the market,' they suggested. So I did.

Zucchini Relish

This is so good. It has a sweet and sour relish flavour that would be great with hot dogs. I made some fresh beans and enjoyed them with the relish.


    10 cups chopped zucchini
    2 cups chopped onion
    5 tablespoons pickling salt
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    2 sweet red peppers, chopped
    1 small hot pepper, chopped
    1 tablespoon nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    2 tablespoons celery seed
    1 tablespoon turmeric
    6 cups sugar
    2 1/2 cups cider vinegar


Place chopped zucchini and onions in a large pan. Sprinkle salt over them and let stand overnight. The next day, rinse these ingredients well. Stir in all the rest of the ingredients and cook for 30 minutes. 

This can be water bath processed and stored for the winter.

 

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of zucchini relish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea! I'm thrilled to see my zucchini plants are dying off! I love them in August and dread them by September. Nice to have a good recipe to deal with the excess.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.