Mustard Bean and Baby Potato Salad

It is the season for putting away for the winter.  I bought some lovely fresh yellow beans at the farmer's market.  I love mustard beans, especially in this recipe.

I toss them with steamed baby potatoes for a low-fat and flavour packed potato salad.

Mustard Beans

2 lbs yellow beans, washed, trimmed and cut to 1 1/2" lengths
3 tablespoons of mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon tumeric
3 tablespoons pickling salt
white vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
onions, finely chopped
1 red pepper, finely chopped

Mix the sauce ingredients and place on heat.  Bring to a boil.  Add the beans, onions and red pepper.  Bring back to the boil.

Process in water bath for 20 minutes for 250 ml jars.


  1. Oh yum! Those beans look sooo good! I make mustard pickles and our whole family loves them! I never thought of mixing them with potatoes for a salad!

  2. I've never had mustard beans but they sound wonderful!

  3. Okay, where was this recipe back when my CSA gave me a bunch of yellow beans???!!!

  4. Angie> this was a suggestion with my Bernardin cookbook and I love it. It doesn't keep overnight like the potato salads with mayonnaise but it's great.

    henfruit> you have got to try them! It is probably a prairie thing.

    Pam> sorry!

  5. Oh what a lovely and pungeant salad! the turmeric really does add a gorgeous color. Yum!

  6. In the days when I used to can I loved mustard beans!!!!!

  7. My friend Kath makes something like this but without the mustard.. this is just what they were missing... thanks for a great recipe... is summer almost over??

  8. citron> nice description

    valli> how could you give up canning!

    deana> my pleasure! Yes, summer is almost over. Our August was not very pleasant - rained all the time.


I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.