Cooking Classes

29.1.13

Dorie Greenspan's "Around My French Table"

I have had this cookbook for well over a year and have barely made a recipe. Digging through my freezer yielded some osso buco that I was saving for a special occasion. Well, today is the day for my lovely osso buco.

In the past I have always made an Italian version. After all, the Italians named this dish and theirs is the typical interpretation. However, Dorie has a French version that looks yummy and that is what I am making today.

Osso buco is veal shank and it means 'bone with a hole'. The shank is sawed into 3-inch slices and has a nice round bone filled with marrow. The marrow is one of the reasons that this dish is so revered. Spoon the marrow onto a piece of crusty bread, sprinkle with sea salt and enjoy.

Because this dish is braised for 2 hours there is always the chance that the meat will fall apart and lose its shape. Although it adds another step, if you tie the meat with kitchen string before braising will hold the shape for a nice presentation. Just snip the string and remove before plating. Your butcher may have already tied it with string.

This recipe can be made up to 2 days in advance of serving and then gently reheated on the stovetop or in the oven. Dorie's recipe used orange zest rather than lemon but I didn't have any oranges today. The lemon was also nice. Don't be afraid to use it liberally. It did not overpower the other flavours.

Osso Buco a L'Arman      adapted from Around My French Table
Serves 2

1 lemon
1 cup water
1 medium onion
1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 tsp herbes de Provence
4 oz thick tomato sauce
2 medium roma tomatoes, sliced
1/2 c chicken stock
2  3-inch slices veal shank
2 large carrots
olive oil

Preheat oven to 325F.

Remove the zest from the lemon with a vegetable being careful not to get any of the white pith. Pour water into small saucepan, add lemon zest and heat to boiling. Simmer for 5 minutes. Set aside.

Gently heat a Dutch oven over medium heat with about 2 tbsp olive oil. Add onions, garlic, herbs and cook for 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce, fresh tomatoes, chicken stock and a splash of the water that the lemon zest was cooked in. Reserve the rest of the lemon zest water.

Season sauce with salt and pepper and gently simmer while you prepare the osso buco.

With a large heavy pan heat it over medium high heat and add a splash of olive oil. Pat osso buco dry and season lightly with pepper. Lightly brown in pan. When browned on both sides remove with a slotted spoon and add to the sauce.

Pour oil out of pan and use the rest of the lemon zest water to deglaze and pick up all nice little brown bits and add this to the sauce in the Dutch oven.

Add a couple of strips of the lemon zest to the sauce. Scatter the carrots over the veal. Cover the mixture with a piece of parchment paper that fits the pot. Simmer for 5 minutes.

Oven braise in the oven for 2 hours undisturbed with the lid on.  Remove from oven, remove lid and parchment paper. It should be fork tender. Skim off as much fat from the surface as you can before serving.

Serve with rice pilaf and a lemon olive salad.






13 comments:

  1. I have this book too..on my Kindle..I prefer cookbooks..in book form..thought maybe that's why I have been uninspired..I'll try this one..I made AnnT's all the time and we LOVE it..but since I have the book:)
    Thank you~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this cookbook. There are so many wonderful dishes...I haven't made the Osso Buco but it looks so good, I have to put it on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never owned one of her books... everyone raves about her. The osso bucco looks perfect...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Un plat bien réconfortant et très savoureux.
    J'aime beaucoup.
    A bientôt

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm afraid I've only made one thing from that cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. un vrai régal cette assiette, j'aime beaucoup
    bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  7. This dish looks awesome! Never heard of it before. Thank you for sharing! xx
    Cheers
    Mamatkamal

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a wonderful cold weather meal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard so much about hte book - and this version of Osso Bucco looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to spend more time with that book too! There are so many great finds in it. This looks like a fabulous winter meal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks so good Sarah! I never cook Lamb at home because 2 out of 4 people here don't like it! But I do love a good lamb meal! Have a wonderful week! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never attempted to make Osso Buco because the name itself just sounds so intimidating! However, I hear that it is not that difficult, so I've got it on my Valentine's Day dinner menu. Yours looks absolutely beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are speaking my language in this post: Comfort Food! Look forward to giving it a try.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.