Cooking Classes

8.4.12

Rich and Delicious Vegetarian Lasagna

I had the best vegetarian lasagna at a little restaurant in Regina.  I loved it and as I poked through to see what was in it, I realized it was filled with a lot of mushrooms.  I love mushrooms.

I wanted to make something like it at home today and I decided to go all out.  I made the ricotta.  You can find the recipe here.


I made pasta from scratch.  The recipe I used was from one of my favourite cookbooks, "Menus from an Orchard Table" by Heidi Noble out of the Okanagan in British Columbia.  She and her husband have a vineyard.  She is a chef and began by offering cooking classes at the farm.  Now she is full time into the winery.

This is my version of vegetarian lasagna.

Vegetarian Lasagna

1 lb mushrooms
1 red bell pepper
1 large yellow onion
8 asparagus spears
2 cups tomato sauce
beet greens or kale
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup ricotta
pasta sheets
6 ounces smoked gruyere cheese
2 tablespoons grated parmesan
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper

Sauté the mushrooms in butter and olive oil until soft.  Cool.  Cut the onion into a medium dice and saute in butter and olive oil until carmelized.  Roast the red pepper, peel and slice into strips.  Steam the beet tops and the asparagus.  Cool.

Layer in a casserole or loaf pan starting with a sheet of fresh pasta or dried pasta cooked al dente.  Then add some of the carmelized onions, sautéed mushrooms, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper and a layer of beet leaves.  Top with 1/2 cup of ricotta and then another sheet of pasta.  Top with about 1 cup of tomato sauce.

Build another layer beginning with  onions and mushrooms and a layer of asparagus spears.  Top with more ricotta cheese, pasta sheet and a cup of tomato sauce.  Top with 1 cup of grated smoked gruyere, 2 tablespoons of grated parmesan and strips of fire roasted red peppers.

Bake at 375F for 45 minutes or until bubbling and nicely browned on top.

7 comments:

  1. The best Chinese food I ever had was in a little restaurant in Regina - and now a lasagna :-) I am so impressed that you made your own ricotta and pasta - thank you for the links! I have been wanting to try making my own pasta forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made your own pasta for the lasagna? I'm impressed, Sarah. This looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a beautiful lasagna! Nice that your inspiration paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful creation. I would have told my dinner guests that they had to savor each bite with 25 chews, just to make sure they fully appreciated the savory depth of their meal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your vegetarian lasagna looks very yummy Sarah! And healthy too!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  6. No one would ever confuse me with a vegetarian, but I must say your lasagna looks amazing. ~Ann

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.