Cooking Classes

17.5.11

Wild Boar Ribs with Basmati Rice

I feel like I might be getting my mojo back.  I have been developing my cooking classes and focusing on my own personal food scene that I have felt a little remiss in my blogging.

But I just had to share this one dish.  I was in Regina, Saskatchewan (Canada) on the weekend and was fortunate enough to find the Farmer's Market.  The jewel of the day was wild boar from The Green Ranch.

I purchased a package of ribs and also a loin roast.  The ribs was my first foray into cooking with wild boar.  They were absolutely divine.  The flavour was something between pork and beef.  They were very lean.  Being ribs, I assumed a long cooking time and a marinade.  It worked.  Actually I used a rub and let them sit over night and roasted them, covered, for about 2 hours the next day.  And, those micro-greens are from my very own garden.

I can hardly wait to cook with my loin roast.

Wild Boar Ribs 

1 teaspoon salt
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cloves
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground allspice
2 teaspoons dried oregano

Mix all ingredients together and rub the ribs with the mixture.  Let sit overnight or at least 1 hour.  Preheat oven to 350F.  Place the ribs in a covered pan or seal with aluminum foil.  Roast for about 2 hours or until tender.  Serve with basmati rice and a lightly dressed mesculun salad.

10 comments:

  1. Gorgeous color on the ribs, and yay for your homegrown micro greens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like buffalo, wild boar must need to be cooked at a really low temperature to avoid drying out. It looks wonderful. You are so lucky to have any greens, even micro greens, already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your cooking because of all those lovely spices and herbs you use. I've already tasted "Le Sanglier" once in Montreal, it was "Brochettes Sanglier" and it tasted good.
    Lovely colour on those ribs!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. exquisitas costillas se ven deliciosas ,doradas y apetitosas,cocina estupendo,cariños y abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. me olvidé decirte que en el sur comemos bastante jabalí,es exquisito,el plato favorito de los extranjeros acá,cariños y abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting meal ! Never had wild boar but i am sure I would like it; the spices you picked are delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just cleaned out my Texas cooker/grill, um um a weekend with ribs is a good weekend. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE the rub--great flavors! i've never eaten wild boar (as far as i know...), but that rub would complement just about anything!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never had wild boar....was so interested to read what it taste like, Sarah. You've used a really interesting rub too. Lots of what I call fall spices.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, wild boar! I can't say that I have tried it myself but, no doubt it was delicious. Love the flavors here.

    Cheers.
    Velva

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.