Cooking Classes

28.2.12

Saucy Meatloaf

This is so thin because I used a full size loaf pan for only one pound of ground beef.  I should have used a small size loaf pan.  But so tasty.
I have never eaten meatloaf!  Can you imagine?  All this time and I have never tried it.  I don't eat a lot of ground beef, or any meat, for that matter.  I had a pound of ground beef, some braised short ribs and all the other ingredients in my freezer and pantry.  I had a whim to make a meatloaf sandwich.

Upon researching recipes it was evident that you can do what ever you want.  This is so tasty and I know the sandwiches will be succulent and flavourful.  The addition of the braised short rib meat with the ground beef adds so much texture and flavour.

Sarah's Version of Meatloaf

1 pound ground beef
1/2 pound braised short ribs
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 slice of my homemade multigrain bread
warm water
2 tablespoons finely minced onion
1 clove garlic, finely minced
2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
1 tablespoon grainy Dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 375F.

Soak the bread in warm water until soggy.  Squeeze out all the water and discard water.

Mix the ground beef, short ribs, seasonings, and bread until evenly mixed.

Press into an oiled small loaf pan.

Bake for about 40 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160F.  Take out of the oven and brush the top with more barbecue sauce.  Return to the oven for 15 minutes.

Drain excess fat and serve immediately or chill and slice for sandwiches.

11 comments:

  1. We love meatloaf here. I love it traditionally with mashed potatoes, carrots and green beans. It is such a nice homey meal! I also like my meatloaf with ketchup! ha! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meatloaf is traditional comfort food at its best. Meatloaf sandwiches are delightful.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey where's the can of Campbell's tomato soup in the ingredient list. That's how I've always made it - kind of easy-peasy 1950s style cooking (although I do know there are a lot of variations in the recipe). You've given me a craving for meatloaf now - I'll have to make some soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never made meatloaf either. I have to try your recipe and I'm sure my boys will love it.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meatloaf has never been one of my favourites but gosh you make it look good Sarah! Yum!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I rarely make meatloaf, yet I love a good homemade meatloaf; yours sounds really good, I am going to use your tip on combining these two meats next time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The lunch place where I work has meatloaf sandwiches on the menu once in a while. Got to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never add bread to my meatloaf, although I've been known to add oatmeal and milk with the seasonings. I always top mine with diced tomatoes, and there is never any left for sandwiches. Seems like the more I make, the more people stuff themselves. Congratulations on a great first try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well. I love meatloaf and have just been playing around with using different textures in ground meat (smoked with raw) and love the combination. The ribs are an addition I'm seeing in the city sometimes from the meat masters at Pat LaFrieda. You are just ahead of the curve with this recipe.
    I will miss homecooking for the next few weeks...especially stuff like this!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i've never made meatloaf with anything besides ground meat--i like your addition of short ribs! i usually top mine with ketchup, but barbecue sauce is tasty too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the flavours in this, especially the ribs! I love meatloaf, and meatloaf sarnies (cold at that) are WONDERFUL. Well done and glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.