Cooking Classes

15.2.12

Maritime Fish Cakes

The Daring Cooks have done it again!  Another interesting challenge.  This time it is 'patties' or 'croquettes'.  I have been experimenting with a number of recipes for fish cakes.  I really like this one.  I had salt cod on hand.

The Daring Cooks’ February 2012 challenge was hosted by Audax & Lis and they chose to present Patties for their ease of construction, ingredients and deliciousness! We were given several recipes, and learned the different types of binders and cooking methods to produce our own tasty patties!



Fish Cakes

2 lb salt cod
1 lb potatoes
1 stalk celery, finey diced
1 small onion, finely diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

Soak salt cod in cold water for 48 hours and change the water a couple of times.  Boil the peeled potatoes in water until tender.  Gently mash potatoes.  Cool.

Drain salt cod and rip into pieces.  Boil in water for 5 minutes.  Drain.  Shred and chop the cod into small pieces.

Saute celery and onion in olive oil until tender.

Mash the potatoes, add celery and onion and shredded cod.  Do not overwork.  Form into cakes.  Fry in hot oil.  Serve with chow chow.  The cakes can be frozen after forming into patties and cooked later.

12 comments:

  1. You forget how good they can be... with all those horrid frozen fish fingers with mystery fish and fillers.. YUK! Nothing quite like good old cod. WF has started selling frozen cod very cheaply... I should try it with these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fish cakes. Growing up, we always had tuna cakes on Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were lucky! I grew up on the type Deana described above - mystery fish cakes!

      Delete
  3. I have not made fish cakes for ages, thanks for the reminder, I will try your recipe out. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. They have to be a lot better than commercially prepared fish cakes. Sounds good with about any fish, really!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love salt cod but the soaking and changing of water part turns off , perhaps it is time to reconsider :) Great dish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these patties. Salt cod is not so new to me but it must be used in a way I would enjoy it. I do remember fish and brews in Newfoundland.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like fish cakes especially homemade like yours. Lovely dish!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to hear that you liked the challenge so much and your salted cod fish cakes look so tasty well done on this challenge. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Salt cod used to be a staple here, back in the days of the sailors and whalers. I've been wanting to try using it in something, and this sounds to be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your fish cakes look great! I used salmon in mine. This was a great challenge, wasn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! You are making me hungry! I love fish cakes...and salt cod ones are my fav! And you can't forget the chuntney or chow chow. Fish cakes and salad are the perfect lunch to me! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.