Cooking Classes

23.2.10

Win this Basket of Canadian Foodie Goodies

I was the lucky winner of a food basket from Velva at Tomatoes on the Vine in Florida.  The only stipulation was that I also offer one from my country of origin.  It has been fun to find a few things that are not your stereotypical Canadiana.  There is more to Canadian cuisine than maple sugar!

So if you are interested in winning this lovely basket, please leave a comment on this post telling me how much you would enjoy receiving it!  Also, you must commit to offering such a basket from your locale within the next 6 months.  I just thought of one more (optional) requirement - share your creative uses of these ingredients with us!  I would love to see how you use them.

I will be using www.random.org to select the winner.  Each reply will be given a number and the lucky number will receive this gift.  The contest will close on Saturday.  Anyone who is reading, please feel free to pass this on to your other favourite bloggers so they can also enter the draw.


This is the booty:

La Carminee du Terroir  Quintessence de pommes
    This is a reduction made entirely of fresh apples.  It has been reduced to a balsamic type reduction and is heavenly.  I have added it to fresh strawberries and also with braised beef short ribs.  It adds a certain complexity to your food.  I think it would be great with an aged cheddar.


Huile de Homard du Canada.  This is a lobster infused oil from the Marche Transatlantique.  This unique and aromatic oil would be lovely drizzled on a seafood pasta, a lobster bisque or any other savoury seafood dish you might be making.

Wild rice from Manitoba.  This is actually a grass rather than a rice but it is so wonderful.  This is one of my favourites.  I usually make a pilaf mixed with a long grain white rice and a mirepoix.  It also makes a wonderful salad.  I think I might make a gratin in the near future and post that on my blog.

Smoked arctic char from Nunuvut.  Also from Nunuvut is an ulu.  Both of these items are courtesy of my sister who is living in Chesterfield Inlet at the moment.  I am so lucky to have such a great sister!  She has offered these two items to add to my basket.  An ulu is a traditional Inuit knive similar to a mezzaluna.  It has a half moon shape and a single handle to have the best leverage possible.  It would be traditionally have many uses in the culture but I think it would be great as a pizza cutter or to chop veggies in our kitchens.  The Arctic char is a fish akin to salmon and this smoked version would be wonderful with cream cheese, diced red onions, lemon wedges and crackers.  You could make it into a wonderful dip or toss with pasta.

Last but not least is a traditional prairie Canadian treat - Saskatoon berry syrup.  Saskatoon berries are only found in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.  We usually have them in pies but also use them in syrups and jams.

11 comments:

  1. What a fantastic prize pack!!! The apple syrup - OMG I want to try that so so so much! And wild rice, one of my favorites!! You've got some great treats in this prize pack - I'm excited to be entered to win :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like so much fun!! I would definitely commit to sending something to someone. I am in Canada too.. London Ontario to be exact!! Love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! Please enter me! :) I'll bet that the apple reduction would be AMAZING with pork.

    I have a goodie giveaway on my blog right now too, but it isn't nearly as lovely as the stuff you're offering. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you know how I feel about the apple quintessence... it's been haunting me since you first posted it... the lobster is enticing as well... but I have no idea what I would put in for a native food basket... Bagels?
    Bialys? Nathan's franks... it would be a challenge, Very sweet of you to give us the opportunity to taste these things.... your descriptions are mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried arctic char for the first time when I visited Churchill, Manitoba, what...10 years ago, now? I loved that area, and I loved char. So, yes, I'd love this basket. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh I'd love that basket of goodies. And I commit or will be committed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! Your Canadian basket is divine. You are definitely right, there is a lot more to Canadian cooking than maple sugar. Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a relative who has one of those half moon knives, and it's a great item! And what anyone couldn't do with these ingredients! The berry syrup on ice cream for a sundae is a starting idea...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did my studies in Canada, more precisely in Montreal, I know a little bit about canadian food and you are absolutely right to say "There is a lot more to Canadian cooking than maple sugar". Canadian food is unique and very special. I love it.
    OHHHHH that basket looks divine.
    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope I'm not too late! Wow! What I could do with that lobster oil! Berry syrup, wild rice.......Please pick me!!!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you everyone! I was afraid to acknowledge any of your postings because I am so numerically challenged and didn't want to mess up the draw. We have a winner! It is #1! Andrea! I'll be in touch to get your postal info.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.